over-carb'd stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeysiin

Reaction score
i made a cherry chocolate stout to give as gifts for christmas. (i primed with cherry brandy and creme de cocoa, though it should have been the equivalent of about 2/3 cups of corn sugar.) i put one in the fridge about 6 hours ago, and cracked it open a few minutes. i went to pour it into a glass (to make sure it's gift-worthy), and man is it over carb'd. about an inch and a half of head, pouring very slowly (it took about 5 minutes to pour it all out.) other than being way over carbonated, it's a good beer, and if there's anyway to fix the carbonation issues, i'd love to still give it out as gifts.

are there any ways to fix an over carbonated beer? or should i just keep all these and drink them myself? it's not undrinkable by any means, but i don't want to give it out as over carbonated as it is...

any suggestions?

In my opinion, Unless your Gift Recievers are beer Critic's Dont worry about it, If it still tastes good and has a frothy head I dont think it will matter how long it takes to poor out, As long as the beer tastes good of course... But I think a beer lover would appreciate the gesture, no sense in wasting it.:mug:

pop a bottle open and immediately re-cap it. Then do the same with the next bottle. Don't leave a cap off for more than a few seconds. That will drop the carbonation just a bit. Only do this with chilled bottles or you may lose too much CO2

BTW are you absolutely sure the priming sugars were VERY thoroughly mixed into the batch? I had a batch that was a scary crapshoot, some bottles were gushers and others were as flat as a pancake. Most were fine, but those gushers caught me off guard more than once.

Latest posts

Back