Outside tempeture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
I'm starting my first brew tomorrow (a wheat beer)and was wondering when tempeture is mentioned for fermentation, I assume it is the tempeture of the wort that is meant and not the room tempeture. If so what is usually the tempeture difference between the room and the fermentation wort, I understand that different yeasts act differently and would create different tempetures, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure,my room is about 20 degrees c

You are correct, and depending on the yeast if you have your fermentor free to the ambient air (ie: just sitting there) the wort soon to be beer will be 2-10 degrees above what the room is.

If you want to cut that number down, I would suggest a swamp cooler setup with a ice chest or something that you can fit the fermentor and water in and cover with a shirt, add ice and frozen water bottles daily to keep the temp down. The range between the beer and water is a lot closer when you have many gallons of water surrounding it. It's a science thing :D

P1040763.JPG

P1040820.JPG

P1040920-800.jpg

Back