Outside brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
I moved my brew equipt. and session outside recently. But the wind kept blowing the flame out on my turkey fryer yesterday and while it didn't blow it out the Banjo burner it did seem like I lost some efficiency due to the wind.

What do you guys use as an effective wind screen?

Also I can't see the flame so I don't know how high it is. What if anything can I do to see the flame other than wait until dark or move back inside?

Yeah,I have the same problem-just about every time I wanna brew a batch the wind kicks up-boiled a batch of dandelion wine three weeks ago...Yep ten mins.to go and the breeze picked up-that last ten mins.felt like a week.
During the winter I go to a cousins lake where we have a "lake party" lakes'good and frozen over-We drag race snowmobiles,eat good game food,drink good beer,tell stories etc....
Well anyhow back to the subject-we use a few turkey fryers there and they've got a few 55 gallon drums that they've cut(top and bottom out) at just the right height (just about mid cooking pot) then cut down the side and kinda opened up for burner access and to get the pot out. This makes a great wind/weather shield and keeps more of the heat around the pot. I'm in the process of making one myself.Try one out. Shane

I use aluminum flashing material (you can find at any homedepot or equivalent). It comes in rolls about 10' long I believe. I used 2 tubes that I attached together to increase the height to cover more of my pot.

It works amazing well as you can witness with this picture. The temperature on that day was -17C and the windchill was gusting to -33C. Do yourself a favour and buy a cheap rivet tool and rivets if you go this route. I originally fastened it with sheet metal screws - you don't want your brewing rig to have teeth. :D

brew_day_small.jpg

I used flashing as well, but just a 14" ring. I notched it to fit the legs. My current brewing area is very sheltered on the east side of the house & what wind we get is from the west, so I don't bother any more.

bradsul said:
I use aluminum flashing material (you can find at any homedepot or equivalent). It comes in rolls about 10' long I believe. I used 2 tubes that I attached together to increase the height to cover more of my pot.

It works amazing well as you can witness with this picture. The temperature on that day was -17C and the windchill was gusting to -33C. Do yourself a favour and buy a cheap rivet tool and rivets if you go this route. I originally fastened it with sheet metal screws - you don't want your brewing rig to have teeth. :D

brew_day_small.jpg

Dude that is hardcore!

Got Trub? said:
Dude that is hardcore!
I tried it with a single ring but the wind gets so strong in the winter between the 2 apartment buildings that I would go through a 1/2 tank of LP for a single batch. With the extended ring I can get 4-5 brews on a tank even in the middle of winter.

I have to use it in the summer as well, my balconey is unfortunately in a sort of wind tunnel. Oh well, we make do with what we have. :)

I just lean a piece of sheet metal against my brew stand on the side with the breeze. If it's more than a stiff breeze, my technique is probably worthless, though.

RhinoRamps.jpg

I just set these beauties up on end up wind of the burner. Works for wind up to about 20mph

Here is a cheap and easy wind screen. It is just two, 2x2 pieces of plywood held together by a 2x4.

7985-windscreen.jpg

Cheers

wop31 said:
Here is a cheap and easy wind screen. It is just two, 2x2 pieces of plywood held together by a 2x4.

Cheers

Cool I also like the saw horse platform and the angle iron on you burner

brew_day_small.jpg

I live in Montreal, so winter here is very rude as well. How long does it take you to bring to full boil at -17C? How much LP? Can you get refill of LP easily in winter?

Latest posts

Back