Outside brewing under a canopy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattTrain

Reaction score
I'm planning an outside brew day this weekend for Learn to Brew day, hosting 3 other brewers and some friends at my place. The weather forecast is looking like rain and wind, so I was thinking about using a canopy that my wife uses for craft shows to cover up our beer/friends.

Has anyone done this? Is it safe with a propane burner underneath it?

Absolutely safe. I use one when I brew outside and it calls for rain and I don't feel like doing it in the garage. Wind is always a factor when we brew outside anyway, more so with a canopy.

I have brewed under a cover with no problem. As long as there is good air flow I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You have nothing to worry about being outdoors as far as gas fumes. But there are tons of other things that can be an issue.

What temp is it there? Holding temps may be an issue if it’s windy and or cold.

Getting to a boil temp. Wind will change time on getting there not to mention if you don’t have a wind screen or something blocking the wind you may not have flames.

LOTS of wild yeast in the air. When you cool down your wort make it as fast as possible. Use lids to keep out bugs and such.

Good luck on brew day

Thanks all.

This will be my first brew day outside. The temp is supposed to be around 50 with decent wind... 15mphish. My driveway has a hill on one side. I'm hoping the wind partially blows over us with the canopy up. I'll be carrying my brew kettle inside to the utility sink to cool the wort, though, so I'm hoping I don't have any issues from wild yeasties. One of the 3 guys coming doesn't have his own burner, so he'll be using mine once I'm done with it.

My normal brew day is 5-6 hours because I used to brew in the kitchen. With the wind and such, I'm still hoping the pot has a better boil than it does inside.

Back