Outlet for stir plate in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zvanaernum

Reaction score
I have a 14.8 cf maytag chest freezer that my uncle is planning to give me for free. I am going to wire it up with a stc 1000. I have read that it is good to make starters at a similar temperature to the fermentation temp for the particular strain. This led me to the idea of wiring an outlet and mounting it on the inside of the chest freezer for a stir plate. My dad is an electrician and I have a fair knowledge for electrical myself so it shouldn't be difficult. Has anyone done this? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

-Zac

IMO, a room temperature starter will produce healthier, more viable, yeast, than one completed at ale or lager fermentation temperatures. If the starter will be decanted, ie most of the beer will be dumped, there's very little concern of introducing off-flavors from the higher temperature starter. FWIW.

I did this to my upright freezer, and I believe many others have as well (got the idea here on the forums). I used a two-stage controller (love tss2) and wired the heat switched output to one outlet (for low wattage heater in winter) and kept the other always on (i.e. for a stir plate).

Raouliiii is probably correct that a cool starter isn't always necessary/desirable. However, in summer here in New Mexico I still often do my starters in the chamber to keep it from getting too hot. This is especially useful if your stir plate puts off a fair amount of heat like mine.

Good luck!

Thanks Raouli, I am a newbie and I read in " how to brew" by Palmer that pitching starter at fermentation temps will prevent the yeast from being "shocked" not sure how much I buy it. Maybe I am just using it as a reason to pimp my fermentation chamber lol. 🔧🔩

I did this to my upright freezer, and I believe many others have as well (got the idea here on the forums). I used a two-stage controller (love tss2) and wired the heat switched output to one outlet (for low wattage heater in winter) and kept the other always on (i.e. for a stir plate).

Raouliiii is probably correct that a cool starter isn't always necessary/desirable. However, in summer here in New Mexico I still often do my starters in the chamber to keep it from getting too hot. This is especially useful if your stir plate puts off a fair amount of heat like mine.

Good luck!

Thanks eternal. I figure if nothing else it will help keep the starter out of places where it can be numbed into or contaminated

I just have an extension cord running into my upright freezer/ferm chamber (STC controlled) when I have a starter going. Works like a charm and much less work than wiring it up.

.... pitching starter at fermentation temps will prevent the yeast from being "shocked".....
Keep in mind that pitching temperature and growing temperature do not have to be the same value. I ferment my starters on a stir plate at room temperature capped with a foam plug. After it is finished, I cold crash in the fridge for a couple days to drop the yeast out of suspension. The beer is poured off leaving just enough to re-suspend the yeast for pitching. I allow the yeast temperature to slowly rise to room temperature again before pitching.

Back