Outer Banks Questions/Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBC

Well-Known Boozer!
Reaction score
Heading to the Outer Banks this year for vacation for the first time. We usually go to Surfside, SC but the wife wanted to go to NC this year. I have some questions hopefully members who have been to the Outer Banks before can answer. Here we go:

1. Where is the best place to buy craft beer (selection and price)? I'm going to hit up Chips Wine and Beer Market.

2. Can I find Wicked Weed on the Outer Banks?

3. What other local beers do I need to try?

4. Are there any particular brewery or brew pubs I should visit? Planning on stopping at the Outer Banks Brewing Station.

5. Any good restaurant suggestions? Preferably Seafood and BBQ

6. What about things to do with the kids? Planning on the wright bros memorial, Roanoke island, Ocracoke island, Hatteras lighthouse, Surf fishing and metal detecting.

Any other suggestions or places/things to avoid?

Thanks

Where are you going? Each town of the OBX is very different.

We usually BYO as we don't leave the house much. But the brew Thru is good for a quick stop. Selection isnt the best for craft but they have some options.

If youre coming in from the North End you will pass Weeping Radish which is a good stop for a bite and sample.

The big thing on the OBX is steamer pots. We usually make them at home but a lot of restaurants have them. Went to Jimmy's Seafood Buffet once and it was surprisingly good.

Jockey Ridge Park is a fun little hike up a large sand dune. The wife and I hiked it and watched the sun set with a bottle of wine. Its windy, they hang glide off the dunes.

It's been 4 years since we were there, on the Atlantic side of the village of Hatteras.

I'm sure things have changed, but I would bring my own craft beer, or buy it enroute. Once you're there you don't want to go shopping for it. Depending where you're staying, it can be almost an hour to reach any larger commercial place. Not sure if Wicked Weed is distributed out there. Check availability.

One day we took the ferry to Ocracoke, and had lunch at Howard's Pub & Raw Bar. They served pedestrian craft beer there such as Bell's. There are other places.

Tips:
  • There are plenty of fish mongers there where you can buy fresh fish for your sushi fix. We made and ate sushi (nigiri) and sashimi everyday for lunch (on the beach) and dinner
  • Plan the time of your travel. There's a big traffic knot (a stupid light) on Kitty Hawk where Rte. 158 splits north and south onto Rte. 12. We were backed up on 158 for 10 or 20 miles trying to get across the bridge onto 12 south. It took at least 3 hours to get through, and it must have started already by 9 or 10am possibly earlier. Best to get through there by 7 am, and spend the extra time on the OBX instead of stop and go for hours on the way in. Especially with kids. Travel at night to get to these places!

Where are you going? Each town of the OBX is very different.

We usually BYO as we don't leave the house much. But the brew Thru is good for a quick stop. Selection isnt the best for craft but they have some options.

If youre coming in from the North End you will pass Weeping Radish which is a good stop for a bite and sample.

The big thing on the OBX is steamer pots. We usually make them at home but a lot of restaurants have them. Went to Jimmy's Seafood Buffet once and it was surprisingly good.

Jockey Ridge Park is a fun little hike up a large sand dune. The wife and I hiked it and watched the sun set with a bottle of wine. Its windy, they hang glide off the dunes.

Staying in Kill Devil Hills. My buddy mentioned the brew thru. I will be passing the weeping radish on the way down and home, if their open I will check it out. I will look up Jimmys Seafood and the wife mentioned Jockey Ridge State Park. Thanks! I also LOVE steamer pots!!

It's been 4 years since we were there, on the Atlantic side of the village of Hatteras.

I'm sure things have changed, but I would bring my own craft beer, or buy it enroute. Once you're there you don't want to go shopping for it. Depending where you're staying, it can be almost an hour to reach any larger commercial place. Not sure if Wicked Weed is distributed out there. Check availability.

One day we took the ferry to Ocracoke, and had lunch at Howard's Pub & Raw Bar. They served pedestrian craft beer there such as Bell's. There are other places.

Tips:
  • There are plenty of fish mongers there where you can buy fresh fish for your sushi fix. We made and ate sushi (nigiri) and sashimi everyday for lunch (on the beach) and dinner
  • Plan the time of your travel. There's a big traffic knot (a stupid light) on Kitty Hawk where Rte. 158 splits north and south onto Rte. 12. We were backed up on 158 for 10 or 20 miles trying to get across the bridge onto 12 south. It took at least 3 hours to get through, and it must have started already by 9 or 10am possibly earlier. Best to get through there by 7 am, and spend the extra time on the OBX instead of stop and go for hours on the way in. Especially with kids. Travel at night to get to these places!

We plan on hitting Ocracoke and I have Howard's on my list. I will probably stop in VA and grab a bunch of beer to get me started. I will be coming down 158 and planned on leaving between 5-6am to get around DC without any hassles but maybe I'll get on the road at 3. If we're early I will take the wife to the outlets to keep her happy. I plan on hitting a fish market in Roanoke don't remember the name I have to check my word doc i started. Thanks for the advice.

We go the OBX every year, usually South Nags Head. This year we are staying in Rodanthe however.

Chips is good for beer, but the grocery stores are pretty decent too. Brew Thru's are ok, but charge a premium for you not getting out of the car.

The Brewing Station is ok, food is decent. We haven't gone in years. Instead we to into Manteo and go to the Lost Colony Brewery and Cafe (used be called Full Moon Brewery). Very good food and beer. http://lostcolonybrewery.com/

Skip Jimmy's Barfette. If you want good seafood, either raw or cooked for you, go to Austin's Seafood. It's around MP 12 across from Jockey's Ridge. http://austinseafoodco.com/ There is O'Neal's Fish Market in Wanchese also, which is a wholesaler that you can buy from. http://onealsseaharvest.com/

Gotta have breakfast at Sam and Omie's, MP 16 across from Jennette's Pier. Pier is nice to walk out on too. For a nice dinner, Owen's is great and it still is pretty casual even though it is a little upscale. http://www.owensrestaurant.com/

Front Porch Cafe for coffee - I buy it by the pound and make it at the house. http://www.frontporchcafeonline.com/

And of course Duck Donuts. https://duckdonuts.com/

I am also a member of an Outer Banks forum that is pretty active. And a lot of locals post there also. Look it up - almost any question you have has been answered somewhere, just use the search function. http://www.obxconnection.com/outer-banks-forum/default.aspx

In case you can't tell, I love this place. Feel free to PM me if have any other questions.

Back