Outdoor Propane Burners... Worth It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighteez

Reaction score
$55 for 110,000 BTU

$90 for 220,000 BTU

Anyone use these vs an indoor gas range?

Is it really a lot faster?

I've been brewing out doors for about 2 years. I do 6 gallon batches (with the occasional 10/11 gallon batch) and I start boiling with 8+ gallons because of boil-off. No way my house stove could pull that off......

great to know.

Do you know what size burner you use? 110,000 BTU? 220?

I just boiled my first ever home brew last night :ban: - and used my massive aluminum crawdaddy pot - with my Chinese wok propane burner that's missing all the gaskets and rusted to all get out. That sucker throws a flame about 12-18" high and got that water up to heat in 10-12 minutes or so. Even with the 5 gallons I held the mash bag at 170', it was instantly down from high heat to hold around 167-169' just like that. I really like the instant heat variability on top of the massive btu's. :mug:

I tried brewing a batch on a buddies stove and it did not go well.
I found a double propane burner in my parents basement and it gives me a great rolling boil with 6 gallons of wort. I can't find how many BTU's but the gas regulator says 15 psi. You don't need anything outlandish, just something powerful enough to boil a large pot of sugar water. Your oven will not compare to a 110,000 BTU burner.

I did a test and it took my stove over an hour to boil 3 gallons of water. Even then it was just a slow boil. I ordered the Bayou Classic SP-10

I use a 65k propane cooker, and it's massively faster than my stovetop - though I use that on occasion as well for full-scale batches.

My typical brewday involves putting water on to heat, and it's ready to mash-in by the time I've weighed and milled my grain. 10-15 minutes after mash-in, I'll start heating sparge water, and once it's at 175 or so, I'll mash out - with the 10-15 minute delay, that gives me a ~40 minute mash. (If I'm mashing really low, I'll extend the mash time).

Anyway, with the propane burner, I can crank out an all-grain batch in 3.5 hours. Stovetop takes nearly double that time.

Absolutely worth it. Bought mine about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Mine is rated at 54k btu's. I do 6-6.5 gal boils and it works like a champ.

Got one off a guy for 15 bucks. Even had a leg missing (the burner, not the guy)! Had some fun with power tools to anchor a fourth leg on there so it would tip over. Looks like crap but it gets 7.5 gallons of wort in a keggle to a rolling boil, likety-split.

If it wasn't for the propane I couldn't do more than a 2 gallon boil. Even at 2 gallons it takes my electric stove 30-45 minutes for a soft boil. On the burner I'm on the 2nd or 3rd hop addition by then.

I use a turkey fryer with its included 7gallon pot. I do preheat my sparge water in a second 5gal pot on the stove though, but SWMBO likes gas burners so that works suprisingly well. I wouldn't have any problem with a BIAB or extract on the stove if I had to. :mug:

Just something to think about when looking for that next kitchen range.

From what I understand the BTU/hr ratings are pretty meaningless. There's no standard for measuring them. See what you can find locally, but a lot of people (myself included) end up with the SP10 from Amazon. More than enough power for anything up to about a half-barrel system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also an SP-10 from Amazon user.

I'll never go back, just haven't figured out what I'm gonna do in the winter. Buffalo gets cold and snowy...garage isn't really brew friendly. I will find a way though!

Hey gents -
My burner's gaskets are fried - do you know where one might find some propane burner gasket replacements? In particular, the gasket that is on the tip of the male end of the tube on the tank side of the supply hose.

I'm also an SP-10 from Amazon user.

I'll never go back, just haven't figured out what I'm gonna do in the winter. Buffalo gets cold and snowy...garage isn't really brew friendly. I will find a way though!

Another SP-10 user from Amazon - gotta love free shipping.

Have you tried a space heater?

Have you tried a space heater?

I've been eyeballing a patio propane heater that looks pretty sexy. Honestly though, after a few brews I'm not gonna care about the cold. Its the blowing snow that concerns me.

I oredered an SP 10 and got it a week ago. Great, except it came with none of the hardware to put it together. So Amazon sent me another. It came today and same problem. So I'd guess that it's not Amazon's fault. They're actually going to stop selling it until they get the problem resolved. And I was going to brew this weekend.......Now what the hell do I do?

Got the Bayou 3066A a while back from Amazon and am still using it (and the pot). Not as powerful as the SP-10 but it does the job and beats the hell out of over an hour on the stove and barely able to hold a boil, heh.

Unless you've got a commercial grade gas stove a propane burner seems to be the best way to go without spending an arm and a leg.

I oredered an SP 10 and got it a week ago. Great, except it came with none of the hardware to put it together. So Amazon sent me another. It came today and same problem. So I'd guess that it's not Amazon's fault. They're actually going to stop selling it until they get the problem resolved. And I was going to brew this weekend.......Now what the hell do I do?

What hardware was missing?

Mine came fully assembled.

Since reading this thread I noticed they (Amazon) stopped shipping S-10s and have a notice up that there may be a problem with their inventory. Sounds like they got a bad batch from the folks at Bayou.

i'm using the side burner next to my built in natural gas barbecue. Not sure of the BTU, but it takes a bit to get to a boil. best I could get it to was 210 dg according to my digital thermometer. i'm going to look into changing out the burner to a higher BTU rating

Since reading this thread I noticed they (Amazon) stopped shipping S-10s and have a notice up that there may be a problem with their inventory. Sounds like they got a bad batch from the folks at Bayou.

Yeah i think something was up as i ordered mine 9 days ago and just got notice it shipped yesterday. I know sometimes Amazon can be slow but 9 days in the middle of August seemed like something was wrong.

I just did my first outdoor batch with a Bayou this last weekend...never realized how fierce a real boil is! :)

I do wish I had a slightly larger kettle though (have 32q), with 7 gallons adding extract takes me over the edge :(. I can live with 6.5 for now though.

Back