Outdoor e-brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicklesr

Reaction score
I've just closed on my frist beautiful new home! Now I get to move my brewery from the basement of my apartment over to my new place.

Currently I run 30amp 220v thro a spa breaker panel, and into an Auber PID controlling a 5500w UWLD element. This will be the same setup in my new location in the laundry room (I canabalize the outlet during brewdays :mug:).

However, since it's MY place and I can do what I want, I'd like to see if there's an easy way to have an outdoor 30amp outlet as well. It would be really nice to be able to move PID/Stand/Kettle outside during nice days.

My question is HOW to do this...

My brew setup has the breaker panel wired directly to the PID, with a male plug to plug into the existing dryer outlet. Are there any products out there that are outdoor rated 30 amp 4 prong outlets? Maybe something for an RV or camp? In my mind, it would be easy to just pop a new 30amp breaker in the panel, and wire to a new outlet outside.

Let me know what you think!

basement_brewery.jpg

Boat extension cords and sockets are outdoor rated. I know they make them in 10-4 as well. The sockets even have flip up or screw on caps.

Sure.

Use an outdoor rated enclosure and put in a properly protected (GFCI) breaker. I'm going to tell you right now that you "need" to run a 50 amp service. Need in parenthesis because eventually you will expand the brewery and you'll want the extra 20 amp capacity to run two elements at once. It will only cost you a few bucks more right now but will save you a few hundred in the end when you do expand.

Back