Double IPA Out of this Galaxy IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast- American Ale II
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 60*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 60*
Tasting Notes
Best when fresh. Very much a display for Galaxy hops.
Fermentables:
9.5 lbs 2 Row
3 lbs Vienna
2 ilbs light Munich
12 oz Crystal 40
8 oz Dextrin Malt

Hops:
1 oz Galaxy 90 minutes
1 oz Galaxy 60 minutes
1 oz Galaxy 20 minutes
1 oz Galaxy flame out
1 oz Galaxy dry hop, when racking to secondary

I've been on an Imperial Red and IPA kick lately. A local nano-brewery made a Galaxy only IIPA that was delicious, and I had to try my hand at it; in my opinion, I surpassed them.

I do a simple single infusion mash with 5 gallons at 152* for an hour, then sparge with 4 gallons at 170*. Boil for 90 minutes with the hop additions above, cool to pitching temps, pitch then wait.

Im from Australia and have used Galaxy alot for my session ales and american wheats and also thrown them into a IPA. One thing that I learnt about this hop is that it has very strong and overwelhming astringencys when used anywhere apart from late in the kettle @ sub 15mins.

Can you tell me what your overall beer taste was like with the 90m & 60m additions which would have been 2/3 of the overall bitterness, interested to know?

I made my own galaxy hopped ipa simular to this recipe. I did not get the astringent taste you describe in mine. But i did only a 60min boil with about .5oz of cascade to help smooth it out. Turned out fantastic very fruity notes in taste and smell.

I really enjoyed this beer. It was surprisingly easy to drink given the high gravity and strong IBU's. I would not describe it as astringent at all. Had a freshly bitter, slightly citrusy flavor.

Back