Out of star-san!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to dry hop my IPA that has been sitting in my second fermenter (glass carboy) for a week. I was out of star san so I boiled the muslin bag and dipped the outside of the hop packet and scissors into the boiling water to sanitize them. Is that ok? I hope I didn't just mess it up when I struggled to stuff it into the top of the carboy.

You're probably fine, but a quick dip-in-pull-out in boiling water isn't enough time to sanitize anything. If you've already thrown everything in, there's nothing you can do now anyway except wait for your beer :mug:

RDWHAHB.

There's no rush on dry hopping by the way. It can wait a week or two. If you find yourself out of sanitizer, just wait for the next convenient shopping day and visit your LHBS and pick some up. Or if you're the online type, you can order some.

You're probably fine, but a quick dip-in-pull-out in boiling water isn't enough time to sanitize anything. If you've already thrown everything in, there's nothing you can do now anyway except wait for your beer :mug:

RDWHAHB.

There's no rush on dry hopping by the way. It can wait a week or two. If you find yourself out of sanitizer, just wait for the next convenient shopping day and visit your LHBS and pick some up. Or if you're the online type, you can order some.

Or even longer. You could wait 2 months if needed and be fine for dry hopping.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing the Starsan. Your beer now has alcohol in it so not much can live in there. As long as you tried to be sanitary I doubt you will infect it.

Back