Out of homebrew. arrrrgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
Just kicked my keg of centennial blonde. It really snuck up on me. What sucks is that my next batch is at least two weeks out. DOH!!!!:mad:

Brew another ASAP and then get the next one started right after that one.

Too much beer is much better than not enough beer!:drunk:

Just kicked my keg of centennial blonde. It really snuck up on me. What sucks is that my next batch is at least two weeks out. DOH!!!!:mad:

As penance, go out and get a 1/4 barrel of the crappiest beer you know and put it on tap. :)

I actually did something like this as incentive to start brewing again. I was thinking about it, thinking about it. Then I went and got a 1/4 barrel of Genny Cream Ale and made myself drink it until I got my home brew supply rolling. :mug:

I do have a batch of NB sierra madre that should be ready in two weeks and an american wheat about a week behind that. I have my next two planned as well.

Here's a good plan: go out and by another keg or 2:p

Have the extras collecting dust on the sidelines if they don't fit.

I picked up a sankey coupler and dumped $150 on a 1/6 barrel keg of Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, just for this reason...
I HATE running out of homebrew, but at least I'll have something awesome on tap.

beninan said:
I picked up a sankey coupler and dumped $150 on a 1/6 barrel keg of Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, just for this reason...
I HATE running out of homebrew, but at least I'll have something awesome on tap.

These crazy prices for 1/6 barrels is the reason I started brewing!

copyright1997 said:
These crazy prices for 1/6 barrels is the reason I started brewing!

I guess i should add that this was also with a $30 deposit, so $120 for 5 gallons of a beer that goes for $3 a bottle here. Still expensive, but its better than an empty tap.

I guess i should add that this was also with a $30 deposit, so $120 for 5 gallons of a beer that goes for $3 a bottle here. Still expensive, but its better than an empty tap.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just trying to futher explain why these kinds of prices got me brewing. First, the cost per bottle of the DogFish:

$120 / 55 (bottles per sixth barrel) = $2.18/bottle.

I was finding 1/6 barrel keg prices where I literally could have bought cases of the beer cheaper than buying the keg. This was before I was brewing. This pissed me off as I like beer from the keg, and it pissed me off enough to look into this brewing stuff. Then I found kits were cheaper than buying the kegs, but still expensive. Then I discovered "Group Buys" on HBT. So, here's what that DF 90 would cost to make:

Dogfish 90 clone recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/

clone recipe grain/hop/yeast bill. All grain prices assume Country Malt Group 2000# pricing done via group buy uplifted by 10% to account for shipping. Hops pricing based on what I've bought in the last 6 months or LHBS pricing. If online, source quoted and uplifted by 10%. Yeast based on LHBS pricing and assumes no-use/washing to reduce cost.
16# CM-2row = .55*1.10*16 = $9.68
1.25# TF-AMBR = .82 * 1.10*1.25 = $1.13
3 oz Amarillo = 6.20*1.10*3/4 = $5.12 (source: Farmhouse Brewing)
1 oz Simcoe = 6.80 * 1.10 * 1/4 = $1.87 (source: Farmhouse Brewing)
1 oz Warrior = 3.20 * 1.10 * 1/4 = $0.88 (source: Farmhouse Brewing)
Yeast WLP007 = 7.85 * 1.08 (sales tax) = $8.48 (source LHBS)
dry hop 2 oz Amarilo = 6.20 * 1.10*2/4 = $3.41 (source: Farmhouse Brewing)
dry hop 2 oz Simcoe = 6.80 * 1.10 * 2/4 = $3.74 (source: Farmhouse Brewing)
Total Ingredient cost = $34.31
Propane Cost (aprox) = $5.50
co2/sanitizer/misc = $1.00
Total cost = $40.81

That's why I brew!

This beer is actually pricey to make (compared to most) due to the heavy hop bill of hops that are relatively expensive (Amarillo and Simcoe) (but I did buy a bunch of Simcoe a month ago rather cheaply) and due to the assumption that liquid yeast is being used with no amortization of yeast cost by re-use/washing/etc. For instance, I'm sitting here drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone where my estimated cost (all in) is under $15 for the batch! (Edit: Includes the use of electric to heat mash and sparge waters reducing the need for propane, uses s-05 but does not assume re-use [which could reduce average cost by another couple of $])

+1 ^ I just got my pipeline set up. I ran out after my first batch, but that will never happen again. What is great is that my friends tried my brews and were like, "So when can we start coming over and giving you money to give us beers?" I was like man I can't quite do that, but if you buy me a bucket and the ingredients I will brew it for you. I got 3 new pail ales in one day!!

this happened to me about two weeks ago :( i had to rush a beer through to the keg. its a painful situation to be in. but now i have three buckets with 5 gallons of beer in each :D

Dude same boat, im trying to build a pipeline still, have a 5gal Dunkel and a 5gal Belgian about 10 days out, Picked up a 3rd carboy and planning my next three batches.... And I agree, im punishing my self by drinking piss water beer. Go get a 30 rack of milwaukee's beast and punch your self 5 times, that should fix it.

As penance, go out and get a 1/4 barrel of the crappiest beer you know and put it on tap. :)

I actually did something like this as incentive to start brewing again. I was thinking about it, thinking about it. Then I went and got a 1/4 barrel of Genny Cream Ale and made myself drink it until I got my home brew supply rolling. :mug:

Did you pick up a case of toilet paper, too?! My dad used to drink Genny Cream Ale when I was a kid. Now he drinks Genny Light. Which I swear is just water out of the Genesee river!

TBaGZ said:
Did you pick up a case of toilet paper, too?! My dad used to drink Genny Cream Ale when I was a kid. Now he drinks Genny Light. Which I swear is just water out of the Genesee river!

It is nick named Genny Screamer for a reason.

I always thought that was a much better saying then "the labatts splats"!

I grew up drinking Genny in upstate NY in the 80's. Then "graduated" up to Labatt's and Molson when I was feeling fancy. Last time I was up there, I tried all of them again and couldnt believe how bad they tasted. My old man still loves the stuff though

Back