Out of curiosity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread yeast works through respiration, and will not perform well in wort. I do not recommend putting it into your beer.

By respiration you mean the exchange of gasses, like O2 for CO2? Does brewers yeast not work the same way?

Bread yeast is fit for aerobic respiration in a low simple-sugar environment. I'm not saying you can't ferment with it, but It won't be efficient and you may end up with undesirable by-products. I used to make an inmate style wine back in high school using bread yeast, it was horrible. I just don't recommend it.

So it probably won't work if you re-pitched it into a lager to clean up diacetyl after fermentation is complete. Right? "inmate style wine," that's awesome way better than pruno or whatever they call it.

Regardless of which style of yeast you use, you need a fermentation to occur before the diacetyl will be cleaned up. (ie. you need some more fermentable added) If the yeast cannot eat any sugars, they will not eat any of your diacetyl.

Back