Out dated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunstler

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a six pack of Sam Adams black lager it was in the fridge rather than just sitting on the shelf. Open up a bottle and it tasted defiantly old...look at the Sam Adams drink by dateand it was a couple months ago.

Called the store and they really didn't seem to care that it was out dated and kept saying no one else has complained before.

So my question is doesn't Sam Adams buy back their beer from stores that is out dated or am I remembering a commercial that never existed?

Suppossedly the owner will be in on Monday (even though the guy I taked to was the "general manager") I going to call to at least try to persuade them to take the beer off the shelf and I I can recoup my money for the 5 bottles that be even better...

Any advice on what to do ifthe store says "you should have checked the date before buying?"

Or am I being too picky (the beer tasted like it was starting to turn even before the drink by date was noticed)

They should take it back. Any good wine or beer store should take back bad bottles of beer or wine expiration date or not.

If they don't I would seriously consider finding a new store and letting them know why.

Well this was the second time I bought beer there prices are above average but the are right on my route to go many places. They are much more of a wine store but you would think If they are trying to tailor to those with taste buds for anything than bmc then they wouldn't sell outdated beer.

I won't know if they will take it back until tomorrow. Until then, I have warned a couple people that I know who shop there for both beer and wine to be aware of what they buy...

If they are trying to tailor to those with taste buds for anything than bmc then they wouldn't sell outdated beer.

This might surprise you, but most places aren't trying to change anyone. My local distributor told me that well over 95% of his business, consistently, is BMC products. He could careless what people buy, as long as they buy it.

That doesn't mean the store shouldn't take it back, just realize that they aren't trying to develop good palates; they are trying to make money. They should do it to retain you as a customer.

Let Sam Adams know. It's the brewer that has the most to lose when a retailer sells an outdated, substandard version of their product. The retailer may not care what you think, but heat from their distributor might convince them to change their ways.

Sort of OT, but my local store sells "outdated" beer at something like half price. I got some "old" Bigfoot for really cheap last year...I bought them out. :ban: Maybe you could suggest that to them.

Agreed. let them know. Sweetwater Brewing Co. in Atlanta will swap you fresh beer for outdated beer. If Sam Adams wants/cares about their consumers they will send you some fresh brew.

Back