Other than Amyl Acetate, what could a banana smell be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing a Belgian ale with WLP550 (White Labs Belgian Ale yeast). I put Servomyces in the boil, aerated the hell out of the wort, pitched the yeast at 70F, and fermentation started 2 and a half hours later (a new record for me). During the fermentation, I kept the temperature pretty steadily around 69-70F. At the most violent part of the fermentation, it got up to 72F, but I was able to bring it back down to 69F. When the fermentation slowed down, the temperature went down to 66F, but I removed the ice packs and it returned to 69F and has stayed there.

So my question is: what is the banana-like smell? I can't believe that it's Amyl Acetate because the temperature should be too low for that and the yeast is certainly not under any stress. I pitched a VERY healthy starter. My guess would be 300-400 billion cells. And it was very much aerated and had plenty of nutrients from the copper immersion chiller, the Servomyces, and so on.

But there has been a very strong banana-like smell throughout the entire fermentation and I'm wondering what that could be. It doesn't smell bad at all, but I'm interested and hoping there are some Belgian ale experts around who might know.

I got same during a kolsch that I recently brewed, banana throughout fermentation. It gave way to more a subtle cherry that was more what I was expecting after it was on cold for a few weeks. I would guess the banana smell would fade away as did mine... and others when I was researching it when I went through it.

Back