Other People's Children

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
As a US Navy Submariner, all of us are required to qualify in submarines. Basically a new guy spends the first 6mos to a year learning about the different systems on the boat, and especially learns basic casualty control. When the qualification card is done, he has to go to a board in front of 3 people who quiz him on the above information.

I have this guy in my division who is 26 years old, about two months past the 1 year point (which is when he should have qualified) and I just found out he failed his board. It wouldn't be that frustrated normally, but this is a guy who wants everything done for him, needs to be reminded to clean his uniform, shave, etc...
He also, as we discovered was hiding out in different places while he was supposed to by qualifying.

I can understand some having to be more involved with a guy who is 18 or 19, who might not have alot of work experience or life skills, but a 26 year old who takes up more of my time than a recent high-school graduate???

Do any of you in the civilian world ever see the same thing, a guy or gal in their mid 20's you'd expect to be able to take care of themselves and function without being baby-sat all of the time? I swear some of these "kids" probably still breast feed when they go home to mom.

Just curious. I imagine in the civilian world you could just fire them, but in the US Navy, you have to be especially screwed up to get the boot.

This sounds like a complete anomolly. Stuff like this rarely, if ever ocurrs in the civillian world.
Say I could use some help folding laundry .

glibbidy said:
Say I could use some help folding laundry .

My wife finally figured out what the proper *incentive* is to get me to put away laundry.

(Cheyco, I think your mom must have told her how well it works).

As a former Marine/Jarhead, I'd have to say he's probably due for some "Office Hours" or "Captain's Mast" as you Squids call it. There's just no room for slackers in our armed forces. In my civilian occupation I'm lucky enough to choose who works for me, and so far I've been able to make good choices.

McKBrew said:
As a US Navy Submariner, all of us are required to qualify in submarines. Basically a new guy spends the first 6mos to a year learning about the different systems on the boat, and especially learns basic casualty control. When the qualification card is done, he has to go to a board in front of 3 people who quiz him on the above information.

I have this guy in my division who is 26 years old, about two months past the 1 year point (which is when he should have qualified) and I just found out he failed his board. It wouldn't be that frustrated normally, but this is a guy who wants everything done for him, needs to be reminded to clean his uniform, shave, etc...
He also, as we discovered was hiding out in different places while he was supposed to by qualifying.

I can understand some having to be more involved with a guy who is 18 or 19, who might not have alot of work experience or life skills, but a 26 year old who takes up more of my time than a recent high-school graduate???

Do any of you in the civilian world ever see the same thing, a guy or gal in their mid 20's you'd expect to be able to take care of themselves and function without being baby-sat all of the time? I swear some of these "kids" probably still breast feed when they go home to mom.

Just curious. I imagine in the civilian world you could just fire them, but in the US Navy, you have to be especially screwed up to get the boot.

I had a guy come back from the desert a few months ago. He was supposed to deliver his weapon (M16) back to the armory, and make an appointment to come back and clean it after he'd had some comp time. Pretty nice policy, right?

Fast forward to last week, when all of a sudden the commander is all pissed because the armory sent him an email informing him the he had a weapon over there that was overdue for cleaning. So of course we're all scrambling to find out who's it was so the old man doesn't have to go clean it. We finally tracked it down to my troop, who I assumed had taken care of it months ago. I even stuck up for him and told the commander he'd taken care of it.

So when I asked him if he'd taken care of that weapon, he told me there had been a problem the day he'd gone to clean it, so they told him he'd have to come back. He said, "I figured that when it became a big enough problem, they'd be contacting us." So basically, he blew it off. And he was right....they went straight to the commander and told him he had to take care of it.

Hell, the guy is older than I am, and I have to ride his ass about every little thing. He's my "special child." :D

I'm a carpenter. One of our guys was laying up sheathing with a nail gun. After watching him for a while I asked him if he still had any nails in the mag. He was surprized that there was a mag., he thought the nails came through the hose.

McKBrew said:

I've had to work with plenty of people like that. It's damned irritating just line cooking or landscaping, I can't even imagine being stuck in a sub with one.

Me, I blame the movement to ban games like dodgeball and tag, and to give out prizes to everyone at kid's parties, and also get rid of tracking in public schools. Kids are raised to think they deserve to have everything handed to them without any effort on their part, unfortunately.

We had a couple of those on my sub, but I've seen them in companies as well. HP was famous for its internal hiring policy, which basically stated, ANY current employee took priority for a job posting over an outside hire. This resulted in 50% of their high-skills jobs being filled by temps who were actually qualified to do the work.

Back