Other hobbies ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was little mean. Having only been around a couple of years, I still remember trying to get acclimated to the ins and outs of this site and so thread-bare (old) threads, well-worn topics aren't necessarily obvious. Even if you make a decent effort using "Search," it doesn't organize the results to make it clear.

I'm very sorry. I'm usually the person who defends a noob post that gets trashed due to unawareness.
But ...........

As a new person ( not to forums in general)
I've learned to read and search threw the off topic areas along with trying out a few questions to get a read on what are usually the more active members to see if I'm going to fit in or not .
I don't get ticked off at much .

The old do a search response usually does it though .
First is its not helpful , pointing in a direction to find something relative is .

Doing a search when asking about things like other people hobbies is usually less then helpful because a lot of what you find is old enough to not be relevant because with a few exceptions you'll find most of the posters in those aren't active any longer .

The old do a search response doesn't help much either when the couple active threads are about specific things , like sports .
I've said my piece so I'm over it now .

I usually find the search function within the forum to not work as well as using Google for my query and tacking the word homebrewtalk on the end.

Usually if it's a topic that's been beaten to death, but I'm still not satisfied I may tag an active user I respect to hear their opinion.

I have probably more passions to divide my time between than I should.

- I've played golf pretty seriously since I was 7 years old. Golf is still my primary passion
- Brewing
- Writing, playing and producing music. I've assembled a pretty decent little home studio over the past 10 years
- Pool. Love playing 9-ball, I used it as a way to earn extra money during college. I finally have my own table now and I'm looking to get back into playing more competitively
- Sports in general. I'm an avid fan of the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, CU Buffaloes.

I play chromatic and diatonic harmonica. I play fiddle a bit too.

I shoot, reload my own ammo.

I like making bread too but don't do it often as I don't need the carbohydrates.

We have a pop-up camper and get out with it as often as possible.

All the Best,
D. White

I tend to like to keep busy in life and after being forced into disability I've found my many assorted hobbies to be a godsend to keeping my sanity after 25 years of 50-60 hour work weeks .

Here is a little of what I'm into , other then the obvious brewing :)
What are you into ?

I live on a fixed income now but I like to eat well . So I spend a little time every day with food in general .
I raise a pig every year And butcher it myself along with curing and smoking my own bacon and ham , usually chops to :)
I also do a beef cow about every 18 months , but i don't butcher it myself .. maybe someday if I ever build a cooler .
I don't do much of a garden , just some sweet corn , a tomato plant or two , a few cabbages And potatoes is all the gardening I can tolerate .

I'm also a bit of a gun nut , my tastes run into old single shots and muzzle loaders , when the weather is nice I do a fair bit of shooting , once or twice a week is usual . And to further that spend a good bit of time re-loading and bullet casting .

I also have a fairly well equipped hobby machine shop in my garage , I have a lathe , vertical milling machine , shaper , horizontal milling machine , surface grinder , power hacksaw , tool grinder. And a stick and tig welder .
I like to make things , so I spend a lot of time in the shop during the winter , I've scratch built a couple single shot actions And I went threw a steam engine phase awhile back .
But I'm not particular, I'm just as happy making something as simple as a bolt as I am makin g something complicated .

Anyhoo , those are just a few of things I'm into ... how's about you ?
currently - resto-modding a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 pickup .
brewing .
lifelong - woodworking , gardening

Besides brewing, I also make wine, mostly from grapes. We have 40+ vines in our back yard, mostly Muscat. I'm also a founding member of a whisky club/society locally.

My wife and I love growing veggies, we have 8 raised beds, plus a bunch of berry bushes, apple tree, and pear trees.
We make a lot of canned food every summer.

I also make hot sauce every year, a 4-5 dozen bottles per year usually.
I'm an IT guy, so always playing with some sort of tech. Used to be into motorcycling, but sold that once we had kids. Will pickup again when they move out. We love camping in our popup as well.
My wife always finds reno's and projects around the house too. Last year I added a gas fireplace and stone surround, redid our bathroom.

nope, I still want an old school carbed sbc .I would still prefer it to be a modified 400 but a nice 350/383 will do fine. no ecm to deal with ,
just pure old fashioned suck squeeze bang blow .

nope, I still want an old school carbed sbc .I would still prefer it to be a modified 400 but a nice 350/383 will do fine. no ecm to deal with ,
just pure old fashioned suck squeeze bang blow .

I'm not a car guy.
But I'm intrigued by the autospeak.
"pure old fashioned suck squeeze bang blow" gets me all turned on and upside down...…. :D:D

Rockhounding is my primary hobby these days. I still enjoy hiking, I try to get in at least 25 miles per week in the hills where we live-there are no trails so it's all just random walking in the forest. And there are dozens of abandoned mines in the area so I'm always bringing home minerals. And these hikes also promote my other hobby: wildlife photography. Our hills are full of mule deer, javelinas, birds, coyotes, bobcats and alleged mountain lions.

I like to dabble in a lot of things and have enough hobbies and interests that I can't devote the time or expense to really get into anything hardcore. Price I pay for being curious about pretty much everything.
Some of the more 'niche' I guess would be:
Cardcrafting.
Bicycle touring.
Canoeing.

I play around with woodworking. Not the greatest but confident enough to make gifts for friends. Made this for my grandson

IMG_8987.JPG

Bikes! Riding, but more importantly, building and maintaining. I commute by bike 18 miles a day, ride 6 days out of 7 generally. Then I can drink more.

Bikes! Riding, but more importantly, building and maintaining. I commute by bike 18 miles a day, ride 6 days out of 7 generally. Then I can drink more.

A bit of cardiovascular gets the blood pumping through the organs at a faster rate. It's the only non prescription hangover cure I know of that actually works.

I usually find the search function within the forum to not work as well as using Google for my query and tacking the word homebrewtalk on the end.

You can narrow your search to only HBT in google by searching for "site:homebrewtalk.com blah blah blah".

I'm another one for bikes/riding. MTB only though (and I refuse to wear lycra).
Also kayaking (sea and whitewater), bushwalking and football (playing and watching; the REAL football, not gridiron or soccer or rugby).

I'm another one for bikes/riding. MTB only though (and I refuse to wear lycra).
Also kayaking (sea and whitewater), bushwalking and football (playing and watching; the REAL football, not gridiron or soccer or rugby).
Ha! I actually can't stand mtb-wear. I always catch baggy shorts on the nose of the saddle when I least expect it. I wear the spandex for everything.

Another bicyclist here....
Love touring with my Trek 520. Rode coast to coast in 2015.
Still have the roadie (5200) and a Surly 1X1 fattie and a GT mountain bike.

Latest posts

Back