OT: feral hogs and spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hou_me

Reaction score
Any of you hog hunters try spent grains in your traps? I've done it a couple times with mixed results. Specifically I've let spent grains sour a bit and mixed in kool-aid or jello. I've caught a few this way but not as many as I had expected. Anyone tried it? Anyone have a spent grain hog bait recipe that works?

-ben

Spent grains are an odd entity to me. I have a compost pile in the back yard that I put all my grain in. It's open air and I usually just dump it on top. There is a nature preserve behind my yard, woods, swampy, full of wild life, coyotes, skunk, raccoons and a ton of squirrels are all over. Even during the harsh winter we had this year, I never noticed anything eating the grains that were sitting on top, They look exactly the same as the day I dumped them. No footprints to be found anywhere. IF nothing else, I figured the birds and mice would at least get to them.

I wonder if we are pulling enough of the sugars out of them, that the critters look at them more like wood pulp than really a food source. I know one time I accidentally spilled some unused grain walking it from my car. That was a torrent of activity for about a day, until it was all gone.

Never used spent grain. However I have made a thick mash out of scratch feed, expired malt extract, and cheap soda fermented for 7 days with bread yeast. Take it to the woods and use post hole diggers to dig a 3-5 foot deep hole put mash in hole then spread some shell corn around. Unfortunately the hogs I was hunting had moved on so I didnt get one like this however if they are in the area im sure they would love it. I put it in a hole so they cant eat it all at once and I could come back after a few days to a week and theyd still be working on it.

I dump my spent grains in the woods. I have trail cams out and split the grains in front of the cameras. I usually have 1 or 2 deer come by twice a week, but every time I put out the grains the whole herd is coming through the same night.

My uncle raises hogs in middle Tennessee and feeds spent corn mash from the Jack Daniels distillery.

Spent grains are an odd entity to me. I have a compost pile in the back yard that I put all my grain in. It's open air and I usually just dump it on top. There is a nature preserve behind my yard, woods, swampy, full of wild life, coyotes, skunk, raccoons and a ton of squirrels are all over. Even during the harsh winter we had this year, I never noticed anything eating the grains that were sitting on top, They look exactly the same as the day I dumped them. No footprints to be found anywhere. IF nothing else, I figured the birds and mice would at least get to them.

I wonder if we are pulling enough of the sugars out of them, that the critters look at them more like wood pulp than really a food source. I know one time I accidentally spilled some unused grain walking it from my car. That was a torrent of activity for about a day, until it was all gone.

I have never had wild critters eat my spent grain either, my now decreased dog on the other hand loved them and whined on brew day until he got a bowl full.

Latest posts

Back