Orval Dregs - High level of activity after 24hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demfer

Reaction score
I am working on a beer recipe with a similar profile as orval. I used the wyeast ardennes yeast as primary and wanted to build up enough of the orval/brett strain to pitch in secondary during dry hopping.

I essentially made a small amount of wort with DME to approx 1.035 OG, enough to fill a small (I think half pint jar worth). I pitched the dregs from the bottom of a orval bottle (which was tasty). I observed all the proper handling and sanitation steps, i.e flaming the bottle after opening and before pitching -keeping foil over the top ect...

A little over 24 hours has gone by and the jar has been sitting on my stir plate at ambient temp in the kitchen. The amount of bubbles rising and the foam in the jar is pretty intense. I am curious whether such high level of activity would be present at this point simple from dregs?

Is it possible I have a contamination and another organism has dominated the wort, perhaps wild yeast? OR is the revived brett/orval yeast strain just this damn active?

Is there a method for determining this before I pitch into my 5 gallon wort post primary and ruin the whole batch with this really active fermentation material?

Looking for a sanity check.:drunk:

If you aerate brett enough as a primary fermenter it will tear through wort very fast. Maybe too fast. Give it a good whiff (taste if you are daring). You should immediately be able to tell whether it is bretty or sour from something infecting your starter.

If you aerate brett enough as a primary fermenter it will tear through wort very fast. Maybe too fast. Give it a good whiff (taste if you are daring). You should immediately be able to tell whether it is bretty or sour from something infecting your starter.

I gave it a quick whiff, nothing aggressive or affensive as far as odors. Did have a slightly tart aroma but generally all my starters have a slightly tart yeasty aroma. Maybe once the fermentation stoppes and the critters drop out i can crash cool and decant a taste of the wort once it seperates out nice in the fridge.

I got a very active starter ferment with Orval dregs. Dense white krausen that went up almost to the top of a 2L flask. It tasted slightly tart and fruity/spicy.

update:

After cooling in the fridge I decanted and pitched into a 1 L vol. I tasted the decanted volume and it didn't taste sour or spoiled so adventure continues.
Pitch last night at 9pm, today its now 440pm and the krausen surpasses the volume of wort, pretty impressive. I am curious on the concentration of brett vs other yeast in orvals bottle conditioning process. I certainly was not expecting such activity!

Back