Original "Toasty Ale" Recipe: Need Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got it. and how are we on the toasty aspect. the idea of lemon biscotti seems pretty cool. interesting to see where the recipe has evolved based on the first few batches brewed here.

ive got this one running in the background in the ol' brain computer. maybe lose the crystals,

pale ale base, say 70%
good amount of munich 20/aromatic/amber/victory/etc in the 25% range
special roast or Special X if i can find it in the 5% range
flaked barley 5%

not sure on the flaked barley, but the rest seems pretty malty/toasty to me

Last edited:
Well after a week of carbonating in the keg the beer doesn’t taste as good as my gravity sample was. It has a very obvious dose of diacetyl so I would suggest if you use the English ale yeast that you should use a starter and give it time. I rushed mine and had it in the keg after 7 days. I think it has too much going on too. The flavors don’t mesh well. I think replacing some of the Marris with toasted 2 row would help but I don’t really know. It tastes sweet and bready with toasted notes in the end but it’s hard to figure out what I am tasting with the buttery flavor getting in the way. Sorry drubes14 I think I failed on this one.:(

Well after a week of carbonating in the keg the beer doesn’t taste as good as my gravity sample was. It has a very obvious dose of diacetyl so I would suggest if you use the English ale yeast that you should use a starter and give it time. I rushed mine and had it in the keg after 7 days. I think it has too much going on too. The flavors don’t mesh well. I think replacing some of the Marris with toasted 2 row would help but I don’t really know. It tastes sweet and bready with toasted notes in the end but it’s hard to figure out what I am tasting with the buttery flavor getting in the way. Sorry drubes14 I think I failed on this one.:(

So mine turned out actually fairly decently, though I used WLP001 California Ale to minimize any other flavors going on.

Mine was a touch more of Meyer lemon, prob from my use of lemon drop.

In terms of malt flavors, I think mine turned out actually pretty well balanced. I only had a touch of c10 I think. Second go I would drop out some of the biscuit and do more munich20. I like the sound of Amber as well. That’s a good call.

I didn’t have the sweetness issue that you had, Br3w4U, but I think you mashed a touch higher right?

I actually split my Batch, doing one plain carbed and then the second I actually threw some Scottish heather tips into. Obviously very floral, but the heather ended up being quite good. Complex, slightly medicinal, but very tasty.

I did mash higher. I am going to try again. I will update when I get closer. Working on a NEIPA but this toasty ale has me hooked like a white wale LOL. I was thinking of replacing the Munich with golden naked oats. Not sure. What does Scottish heather taste like?

It's somewhat tough to describe, but it is very floral, earthy, almost herb-like. It is very distinctive.

I ended up using 1 oz as a dry hop in 2.5 gallon (which is a fairly high amount).

Here's a good primer on the herb and its use in brewing.
http://beerandwinejournal.com/heather/

Latest posts

Back