Original gravity of the charts, how do i measure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graudave

Reaction score
So the original gravity is off the charts and we are unsure how to measure it. The intended original gravity was 1.090. It looks like if the hydrometer continued to go down it would have been 1.180. How do we measure this thing.

image-3919164260.jpg

Is your vessel tall enough to let the hydrometer float? If not, it should be. It should not read like that floating.

To 50 mL of the wort add 100 mL of water and measure the gravity and new volume using the Plato scale on the hydrometer or if there is no Plato scale convert to Plato. Multiply the new volume by the SG of the diluted wort and then by 0.998203 to get the weight of the diluted wort. Now multiply by °P/100 to get the amount of extract in the diluted wort which is the same as the extract in the original wort. Subtract that and 99.8203 (the weight of the dilution water) from the weight of the diluted wort to get the weight of the water in the undiluted wort. Divide the weight of the extract by the sum of the weights of the extract and the undiluted wort's water to get the original extract in °P. Convert to SG if desired. If outside the range of the ASBC tables consider °P to be the same as Bx and use the Brix tables.

is this an extract batch? if so, did you full boil or partial boil? if partial, did you top off yet? and what the flocc are you brewing?

All grain and a triple. I'm probably going to have to add more yeast in a couple days. And thanks for the help ajdelange. I think the original gravity is around 1.190

Just curious but what's the recipe. That's crazy to get more than double the gravity that you were shooting for.

Haha I know I'm worried. I need to add yeast I. A few days. I don't know what we did wrong

AJDelange has it right, and you can trust his insight. He knows a thing or two. Using that method should work on determining OG.
I would think that gravity is so high it must be a mistake. Something like adding 12# of sugar in a typical ale would get you that gravity (1.190ish). Either you made a mistake measuring the gravity, or you will have a very sweet beer that craps out at about 15-18% if you use wine yeast to ferment.
What was your recipe, so we can help you figure it out?

Back