Organizing my first competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
So I opened my lhbs about 7 months ago and would like to have a competition for my one year anniversary, I just registered it with the bjcp/aha but I was looking for any additional advice or tips to help this run smoothly and be a fun event. I will probably do 150 to the store for best in show and tshirts and all best in class with a 5 dollar per style entry to help offset some of the cost. Sound ok so far?

Make sure you have enough interest from qualified judges to hold whatever competition size you are planning. Don't overwork judges...keep flight size to around 10 or less per judging session, feed them lunch or something, and you will have happy judges. If having enough judges is ever a concern, consider an overall entry limit for the competition. If you don't have enough quality judges and entrants get lackluster feedback, it'll hurt your competition reputation for future events.

The BJCP website has great resources- so make sure to use them! You can get a list of judges, flight sheets, score sheets, etc, plus tips on how to organize.

Make sure you have a good list of supplies needed (cups, pencils, crackers or bread, water), and don't make the sessions too long. Give the judges and stewards lunch.

Make sure you have a good place to label and store the entries as they come in.

We've always had ribbons for winners of categories, as well as prizes donated by places like Wyeast. Wyeast has a sign up on their website to ask for swag for donations for these type of events, and I know I got stuff from Brewcraft and Briess. People love prizes, even if they are just bottle openers.

You can combine categories for the purposes of places and prizes, because some categories get very few entries (light lagers) while others get tons of entries (IPA). You still judge/score individually, but you can combine, say, categories 1-6 if you get few entries in them.

Make sure your flights are set up lightest to most flavorful, to reduce palate fatigue for the judges. If you have experienced judges around that can help you with the setting up of the flights, that's helpful.

Thanks for the comments hop, yoop...sounds like you've done this once or twice, lol... I was reading some of the info on bjcp for organizers and it did seem like they were a treasure trove of valuable tools... I look forward to researching more as we get closer. I did not even think to ask my sales reps/vendors for donations!!! That's an awesome idea and everybody does love free goodies. Where would I get ribbons made? My thought process was that a ribbon wil sit in someone's room and a shirt can be worn out to show your accomplishment.

Thanks for the comments hop, yoop...sounds like you've done this once or twice, lol... I was reading some of the info on bjcp for organizers and it did seem like they were a treasure trove of valuable tools... I look forward to researching more as we get closer. I did not even think to ask my sales reps/vendors for donations!!! That's an awesome idea and everybody does love free goodies. Where would I get ribbons made? My thought process was that a ribbon wil sit in someone's room and a shirt can be worn out to show your accomplishment.

Yeah, but..................

Ribbons are cheap, and you can order 50 for $20 (or whatever). Check a local trophy/ribbon place. It makes everybody happy, as it is an accomplishment for the brewer, and it's cheap for the organizer (competitions never make money- but you want to break even). T-shirts are expensive, and I'm a size small. Most homebrewers are large, but , many are extra-large. How would you handle that?

(Yes, I have lots of extra large freebie shirts. I can't wear them, but I won them!).

Most competitions are using this software - http://www.brewcompetition.com/. If I run across a competition that isn't using it, I usually won't enter because it requires filling out paper forms, mailing checks, etc.

Thanks! I'm finally getting around to working on my website after 7 long months of growing inventory and getting the store front on par. I will definitely be integrating this software, looks like it will make the process easier for everyone.

Back