Oregon Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowRiver

Reaction score
I've been drinking beer a long time. 15 years ago I moved to Oregon from the Midwest. Here I found beer. I went through stages of Mirror Pond, all the Widmer products, the local brews and especially any IPA, the bigger the hoppier the better. Really fell in love with some of the ryes I tasted.

I had always been reluctant to brew my own, why would I want 2 cases of something I might not like? I'm a bit of a purist in my other adventures so the original outlay in equipment didn't seem worth it.

I finally decided it was time, and am on my second batch.

First batch recommended by brewshop as a good beginner IPA., an extract with a small amount of steeping grains. Full boil but no wort chiller, hadn't arrived, let sit in primary for two weeks, bottled it, conditioning now but have started to drink, put some in fridge after a week in the bottle.

Second batch in primary now, someone's take on Terrapin Rye. Extremely aggressive fermentation,pitched a little too warm, wort chiller leaked(will be fixed) and used a starter on the 1056 Wyeast. Dryhopping will be an experience I am reading up on.

I guess I got a few things yet to figure out. Not really in love with my first brew. A bit too caramel taste in the finish, maybe under carbed, weak head retention., the Nugget hops not overpowering either though.
Brewing a lot like bread making. It always tastes good but exceptional isn't always the case and not necessarily better than the best of the commercial offerings.

I believe my next attempt will be something similar to Ska's Modus Hopperandi as I cannot get this here but have really liked in the past. That or an amber or nutbrown, meekly hopped as the wife should get something she likes too. After reading this forumn I also might try doing smaller batches so I can have a bit more variety and allow for more experimentation.

Here's to good brewing. I hope to learn and love the hobby.

Welcome!
I moved out to the midwest for a few years (cincinnatti to be exact) and ended up moving back here to portland.
Where abouts in oregon are you located?

Welcome YellowRiver, I moved to Portland from the Midwest 10 years ago and fell in love with all of the micro beers here. I jsut started brewing my own and am loving it. I've found that HomeBrewTalk.com is the best for finding answers to any questions you may have!!

Welcome!
I moved out to the midwest for a few years (cincinnatti to be exact) and ended up moving back here to portland.
Where abouts in oregon are you located?

Originally from Iowa, now in Springfield

Welcome to the hobby and the group, from CO. You have world-class beers to compare your homebrew to, you'll be surprised how fast your beers can "get there." I love Walking Man.

Back