Ordering an Erlenmeyer Flask in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionbill

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm not from Texas but living here now and recently ordered an Erlenmeyer Flask from Amazon for a yeast starter. Then i find out that in this state i need a permit for one. being the law abiding person that i am, I sent in the request only to find out that i have to have a dedicated locked cabinet for the flask when not in use, and that it needs to be inspected prior to issuing the permit. Since i was not going to do all that (as there are other options besides an Erlenmeyer Flask), i told them to cancel the request, which they did. So, i do not have a permit. Well today, the flask showed up at my door from Amazon. So now i'm wondering what to do with it? Does Amazon notify the Department of Public Safety that i now have this flask? should i be worried about that and return it? It surprises me that Amazon was not required to request the permit before shipping it. Has another been through this before or know exactly how this works? Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Dion

Maybe you should move back to the United States.

Just tell them it's an Earlenmeyer .45 revolver. They let you have as many of those as you want.

That's all I got. Good luck.

Dude, you're worrying way too much. It's a virtually un-enforced law. Unless you're using it to make meth, I highly doubt anyone's going to bust your balls over it.

If you're really worried about it, return it and buy this "conical flask" instead. :p

Well here's your application form. Seems the standard "Who are you and did you get arrested" form. Only thing that seems somewhat uncertain is to let them inspect the "lab" before them issuing the permit. If you show them your garage with some fermenting beer going on they should be able to identify it as a brew operation and proceed without problem.

Other option is to use another piece of glassware of course. But since you have it ignorance is bliss.

Back