Ordered kit with Wyeast. Didn't open box for 5 days now it says refrigerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewguy11

Reaction score
Is this yeast going to be any good?
Do I have to refrigerate it before use?

I realize brewers who know waht they are doing know what this stuff is but Midwest supplies packs the recipe kits into another box...and nothing was mentioned in the ordering process.

I'm not sure i really understand what you are asking? if youre asking if the yeast is still good, the only way to tell for sure would be for you to proof it. Being a smack pack that is easy to do if you follow the instructions on the package. Either way, making a starter will not only proof the yeast but will also provide you with the proper pitching rate. With out knowing your recipe its impossible to tell what that proper cell count is. Yeast is extremely hardy, unless it sat in crazy warm temps for 5 days i'm sure it is fine but i would personally put off brewing at least a day and make a starter.

Just a bit more info. I ordered two kits. Each with the wyeast. One of them is super swelled up (never refrigerated it and never popped the thing in the middle). The other one is pretty flat.

Just put both in the fridge.

Thanks FastAndy

These are the two kits:
Pumpkin ale - this is the one where the package is extremely swelled. I don't think I could break the thing on the inside
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/recipe-kits/specialty-beers/pumpkin-ale.html

Winter ale - this one the package is relatively flat
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winter-ale.html

My questions are (that's you've already addressed partially)
1) For the package that is super swelled, am I already cooked? I can't break the inner package without blowing up the entire thing
2) Is the other yeast package dead?
3) Is wyeast really worth it (so far it's not adding anything but hassle)

the swelled pack is fine, it shows that there is (or was) viability in the yeast at somepoint. The non swelled pack is probably fine too, just that the nutrient pack has not been broken and caused the swelling. Wyeast is a great product, although fairly misleading. The swelling of a smack pack should never be a sign of yeast quality and or proper pitching rate. As you'll see here a yeast starter is really the only way to be certain yeast is good to go.

The liquid yeasts are "worth it" in that they offer a far wider range of strains. For strains that are available in both liquid and dry form (though technically they won't be the *exact* same), such as Chico (Wy1056, WLP001, US-05), many find it easier to stick to dry yeast.

Personally, I use liquid most of the time (usually White Labs), but I keep a bunch of dry yeast packets as a backup or for when I just feel like brewing all of a sudden, as they're cheap enough to buy a bunch to keep on hand and will last much longer sitting in my fridge - which, BTW, I'd still recommend doing with dry yeast.

Back