Orange Kolsh By 4th of July?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew tomorrow morning and make a orange kolsch using White Labs German Ale/Kolsh yeast WLP 029. My question is will I have enough time from brew day to carbed keg by the fouth? Please share your thoughts.

I was looking at the following schedule...Please critique and help a brewer out!

Primary: 5 days
Secondary: 7 days
Keg/carb.: 7 days

That takes me right to the 4th.

I think a kolsch is typically cold-stored after a cool fermentation (not lager cool, but lower than ales).

Orange Kolsch? Please explain!:fro:

I've only made one kolsch, but in my experience it was more like 10 days primary, and then several weeks "lagering' before it was very good. I used wlp029, too, and it was not a very flocculant yeast. It took a long time to clear and settle out, even with cold crashing.

Definitely not, unless you like drinking green, cloudy kolsch.

Your best option here is to brew a weizen. If you brew tomorrow, it should be barely ready by the 4th, and really hit its prime a week later. I can't really think of any other style that will be drinkable less than 3 weeks from brew day.

It might be somewhat cloudy, but you'll have a good beer, especially if you keep the OG down to 1.045 or lower. It's easy to make something quickly with WLP029, if you aren't too concerned with clarity. It's a very clean yeast.

Check out my Argentine Gold recipe, if you like. I was toying with the idea of orange peel and coriander in it, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone else wanted to play first! You'd have to mess around with the base malt to make it more of a true koelsch, but that's easy enough to do.

TL

Back