Orange Clove Mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWadeShow

Reaction score
Howdy all.

I am embarking on a project to brew up a batch of Orange Clove Mead as outlined at the included link. I have seen this done before, but I haven't done myself before and since it's been so long I'm hoping someone can answer some questions I have.

1. I am brewing this up in a 5-gallon Better Bottle. I assume all I need to do is multiple all the ingredients by five to proportion it correctly?

2. It says I need a 1 gallon of water, so that would five gallons of water to match it to the vessel. However, five gallons of water will top this off. Don't I need to have some open area between the bung and the waterline?

3. Should I liquify the honey before adding it to the water?

4. When I add the yeast do I just add in five packets of yeast? Do I stir it in or leave it on top? Do I need the batch to be room temperature before adding?

After all of that I have a pretty good handle on wait times, but I was hoping someone could spell out the above for me.

Thanks!

Howdy all.

I am embarking on a project to brew up a batch of Orange Clove Mead as outlined at the included link. I have seen this done before, but I haven't done myself before and since it's been so long I'm hoping someone can answer some questions I have.

1. I am brewing this up in a 5-gallon Better Bottle. I assume all I need to do is multiple all the ingredients by five to proportion it correctly?

2. It says I need a 1 gallon of water, so that would five gallons of water to match it to the vessel. However, five gallons of water will top this off. Don't I need to have some open area between the bung and the waterline?

3. Should I liquify the honey before adding it to the water?

4. When I add the yeast do I just add in five packets of yeast? Do I stir it in or leave it on top? Do I need the batch to be room temperature before adding?

After all of that I have a pretty good handle on wait times, but I was hoping someone could spell out the above for me.

Thanks!

This is Joe's ancient orange mead or JAOM for short. There is a very thorough thread on this. If scaling do not scale the yeastup nor should you scale the cloves. 1 is very potent in 1 gallon. 2-3 cloves max for 5 gallons would be the consensus.

Most any and all questions are asked and answered in the thread including yours.

1: See above
2: leave some room for fermentation, top up after few days
3: No just warm it enough to add.
4: Doesn't matter. Easy to shake it all together

Thanks Gavin! I knew there was a specific name it was known by, and I will search out that thread you mentioned. Appreciate the answers!

No worries. Happy to help. Finished the last of my first JAOM yesterday. Takes along time to mellow out. My second batch is still in the carboy. I'm going to reserve it for next Xmas

How long do you typically let it sit?

I've heard mixed reviews saying to let it ferment for about 3 months, and then bottle it up and just let it sit for another 3-6 months?

If you're brewing a 5 gallon batch be sure to use a 1 inch blowoff tube. The fermentation can get pretty crazy.

If you're brewing a 5 gallon batch be sure to use a 1 inch blowoff tube. The fermentation can get pretty crazy.

I'm not sure I understand. I was just going to use a twin airlock on my bung. Would a blow off tube replace that?

Do I simply want to use the blowoff because the batch is so big that the twin airlock won't be able to handle it like it would a one gallon batch?

EDIT: Also, I was looking through the JAOM thread and I couldn't find the answer to another question.

The honey I use does it have to be raw or processed. I know a local beekeeper and I can get good honey for a good price. If I use raw do I need to treat it any different for this process, or do anything special with it before mixing it in? Or can I just throw it in like normal store bought honey?

I'm not sure I understand. I was just going to use a twin airlock on my bung. Would a blow off tube replace that?

Do I simply want to use the blowoff because the batch is so big that the twin airlock won't be able to handle it like it would a one gallon batch?

EDIT: Also, I was looking through the JAOM thread and I couldn't find the answer to another question.

The honey I use does it have to be raw or processed. I know a local beekeeper and I can get good honey for a good price. If I use raw do I need to treat it any different for this process, or do anything special with it before mixing it in? Or can I just throw it in like normal store bought honey?

Raw is good more nutrients for the yeast that are not processed out.

Right the blowoff tube replaces the airlock. It makes it much easier for co2 to escape, and means you won't have to worry about your airlock clogging.

Here's how it looks:
2798791992_090bab6b5c.jpg

Your other option is to hook a small diameter blowoff tube to your bung. But there's still a chance it can clog. I did this when I made a small batch of mead, but had to change the tube daily because it kept filling with krausen.

So a blowoff tube is just a tube that runs from the opening, into a bucket of water? is it ok for them to be level like that, or do they have to sit at different heights?

Also, I was curious about racking/bottling. After primary fermentation would you suggest racking for mass aging in another carboy, or going straight to bottles after 3 months of fermenting?

The levels they sit at don't matter as long as the tube is submerged. Personally, I prefer to run my blow off tube into a sanitizer solution to be on the safe side.

As for your aging method, it's all a matter of preference. If you age in a secondary, you'll get more consistent flavor and clearer beer. If you age in the bottles, you won't have to worry about having enough viable yeast for carbonation

Alternatively, you could rack it to a secondary for about 2-3 weeks, and then finish aging it the bottles.

Latest posts

Back