Orange As You Dare Wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
Hey Guys! My first ever HB was a Belgian Wheat Beer, and now that it is warming back up again, I figured that I would take a second shot at the style!
When we first brewed our first BW we tried it and discovered while it was quite tasty, it didn't have quite the amount of orange we liked.

When we added a nice slice of tangerine to our glasses, the beer turned from something that good, to something we didn't want to share anymore!

So, I put together a list of ingredients today for a 5 gallon batch with the intention of beer being as citrus as possible without being overwhelming.

5lbs 6 oz Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
4lbs 6 oz Weyermann Dark Wheat
0lbs 6 oz Weyermann Caramel Wheat
0lbs 6 oz Rice Hulls
Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch
.3 oz Magnum Pellets 60 min
.3 oz Centennial Pellets 10 min
.75 oz Centennial Pellets flameout
1oz corriander 60 min
2 oz sweet orange peel 60 min

Mash at 153 for 60 mins, single infusion batch sparge with 170 degree water

I will probably let it sit in primary for 4 weeks and then go to bottle until tasty is achieved.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Adding orange zest to the fermenter? I did just that with a tripel I am about to bottle. I added orange zest soaked in Grand Marnier to kill germs. I just dumped it all in. It's been in the fermenter for about 4.5wks and I need to bottle it whenever I get the time. So far I like it (still a bit green), but like you, I could actually go for a little more orange. My next back, I will try both the boil and post boil.

Sounds good. I would also consider adding some peel to the fermenter after you hit your FG. That much dark wheat will put this in the dunkleweizen territory? Although with the Belgian year I guess you'll have a Belgian speciality. Should be interesting, most citrusy wheats I've had have been lighter, so would be curious to hear how this turns out.

I think I will add citrus in both the entire boil and after I hit my target gravity. Any suggestions on perhaps a better yeast to use for the kind of wheat I am targeting?

Dunno if this works with the style, but I used Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) and got a terrific citrus flavor as well as a silky mouthfeel, excellent attenuation, and relatively little pepper phenolic flavor. The Saison I made with it is like liquid crack to me!

I just brewed a Belgian Wit today. I used the Wyeast 3944, Belgian Wit yeast. I hand crushed coriander and zested 2 large oranges- threw them all in right before flame out.

I agree with BPal above. You are going to be way dark for the style.

The predicted SRM is 8.2, which is about on target with what I want. I want something that is not quite your typical pale wheat, but not dark either.

Dark wheat isn't a roasted malt people. I use it all the time in lighter beers. I like it better than red wheat and my lhbs doesn't carry white wheat. You could use s more citrusy hop also. Citra goes nicely in wheat beers IMO.

I think that i might make the substitution to Citra! Still looking for more ideas on yeast types though!

Latest posts

Back