Options for possibly infected Dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
I did this batch back in March. Work got busy and I sort of forgot about this one. Realized in June what I had done and figured I was bound to be infected. Decided to just keep letting it ride at that point.

I don't have a ferm chamber. This bucket sat in my brew room at lager temperatures and slowly rose up to 70F where we keep the thermostat where it stayed for months. It spent a month at proper lager temps and warmed up from there so the actual ferm is decent and d-rest should be satisfied since it sat warm as well.

Fast forward to last week, I did another batch and decided to keg the funky cold medopple at the same time as the other. When I cracked the lid I didn't have any sort of pellicle or visible infection. Smelled very sweet. "Did this stuff actually survive?"

Tasted a sample once it went to keg and noticed a very slight souring. Have it carbing now and drew another sample to check it. The sourness is a bit more intense now that it's cold and slightly carbonated. It tastes like a basic sour beer. Could use some black berry or currant or something. More acid or tartness.

SO, what do I do? Hurry up and drink it? At nearly 9% that's going to be an interesting time. Sit on it and see how it sours? Will it continue to sour while cold? Can I use a campden tab on it? Would that stop the maturation process? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

You could add some black berry fruit extract to it. Otherwise, I'm guessing it'll continue to sour over time. It might turn out to be pretty good, I'd just roll with it. I would say bottle it off the keg, but that gets dangerous when it continues to keep eating the sugars. What was the FG?
Maybe you could try bottling some off the keg into strong Euro style bottles and letting age, say a 6 pack.

I have a ton of this stuff. I could dump it back into a fermenter. I don't really want to dedicate a bucket to sours since I don't really do them but the $60 I have into this thing is more than the price of a fermenter.

I have some American Oak spiral I could add to it later as well.

Haven't made any adjustments just yet. At this point it screams out grape soda. Has a purple grape flavor going on. Like a freezey pop. Any idea what causes this? Trying to get a clue as to how to handle this stuff.

Latest posts

Back