Opinions on this cheapo wort pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooneydriver

Reaction score
I found what looks like a nice, cheap, food grade, temp rated pump to mount between my brew pot and counterflow chiller: ebay link

It needs a 12v power supply, but that would be cheap. The connectors might take a little bit of work, but I'm handy. What do you guys think?

Boring details: I bought a counterflow chiller because it was the same price as an immersion chiller, only to find that gravity feeding it is a royal PITA. I'm a little tapped out right now to buy a Little Giant, March or Chugger pump.

I picked one up but haven't used it yet. Price is right but the input and outputs are tiny and don't seem to be a good match to any of the tubing we would likely to be using especially for hot wort. It looks like it would be very difficult to be able to securly mount the tubing to the pump. There are other pumps in a similar price range that have 1/2" threaded input and output. Try to look for those as well.

Perhaps someone with more practical experience will chime in.

Looks nice.

Current: 900mA @12V

That's an easy power brick to find. I probably have a few laying around my house. Worst case, I'm pretty sure the selectable ones can push that.

Intake(Od/Id): 13.5/9.0mm Dia. (0.55"/0.36")
Outlet(Od/Id): 9.5/7.0mm Dia. (0.38"/0.28")

Tiny?

That's 1/2" silicone hose in and 3/8" silicone hose out.

IMHO

Be careful- Check the head capabilities. I am in the marine hvac business and 12V pumps are always desirable for raw and recric pumps, but often lacking in performance. I would suggest find the flow rate curves and comparing to the chugger/march to see if they compare favorably or un-.

Latest posts

Back