Opinions on Thermoworks ChefAlarm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I am just getting into grain brewing and I was thinking about getting a digital thermometer.

I would like your opinions of the CHEFALARM ® MODEL #TX-1100-XX sold by Thermoworks. I was also planning to get the PRO-SERIES® NEEDLE PROBE with it. They claim that the following " The immersible mini-handle/transition seals the probe assembly against moisture so the probe still works in a water bath or a simmering pot." Sounds like I could use it to monitor the temperature in my Mash Tun.... yes?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html#AccessoriesTab

Has anyone used this model? Is it accurate enough?

Any opinions?

I am just getting into grain brewing and I was thinking about getting a digital thermometer.

I would like your opinions of the CHEFALARM ® MODEL #TX-1100-XX sold by Thermoworks. I was also planning to get the PRO-SERIES® NEEDLE PROBE with it. They claim that the following " The immersible mini-handle/transition seals the probe assembly against moisture so the probe still works in a water bath or a simmering pot." Sounds like I could use it to monitor the temperature in my Mash Tun.... yes?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html#AccessoriesTab

Has anyone used this model? Is it accurate enough?

Any opinions?

Looks good to me. Can't wait to hear more.

I have three Thermoworks products & love them all: The Chef Alarm, that I use for making yogurt, the Original Oven Thermometer, that I use with one of these: http://brewhardware.com/fittings-75/125-probecompression to monitor strike, sparge & wort cooling temps, and a RT600C for mash temps. Without hesitation, I can recommend all three. At some point when I have too much money laying around, I might upgrade the Oven to a Chef, but that's getting really picky.

I bought the chef alarm and the needle your talking about for the same use.
The needle was defective and I found out the hard way...at the end of the brew day.
Make sure you check the calibration before you brew! Look on the thermoworks website. They have information and videos of how to check your thermometer.
Anyways, I sent an email to the company and they sent me a new needle right away.
I actually have ended up using the stock needle more as my pot that I mash in has a hole in the lid and don't need to submerge the probe.
I'm very happy with the chef alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also sent this email to the customer care center at thermoworks before purchusing:

"Was considering getting the Chef Alarm
Thermometer. Along with using it for normal everyday cooking, I want to use
it to monitor the temperature while I mash grains for making beer. This
involves steeping a certain amount of barley in hot water for about an hour.
Would I be able to use the stock probe that comes with the Chef Alarm if I
didn't submerge the wire lead or would you recommend the Pro Series needle
probe for this application? I would want to keep the probe in during the 60
minute or so mash."

And this was their response:

"The high temp cooking probe that comes with the Chef Alarm will work great
for you, keeping in mind not to submerge the cable. The needle probe might
be nice to have as well for a back up, it is submersible and has a faster
response time. Please let me know it you have any questions."

I have the ThermoWorks MTC thermometer recommended in this forum a while back.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

The probe needed is, Model: 113-372/373/375-T

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html

The thermometer is waterproof just like the probe. It also has a magnetic back. I prefer the wire probe because it's longer, can be stuck in a pot or mash tun and set down. The thermometer is just as accurate as a thermopen, my only complaint is it takes longer to get readings.

So Leesmith.....it sounds like the extra probe would do what I want. Have you purchased the water proof needle? If so, have you used it?

Funny but my other choice was the MINI HANDHELD THERMOCOUPLE METER
MODEL #MTC that and the probe that Croyzen suggested.

Both have similar accuracy (±1.8°F) but I was drawn to the ChefAlarm due to the alarm. Is ±1.8°F accurate enough?

What are your thoughts on the alarm aspects...Needed...not needed?

Now I water proofing the probe is a brilliant idea!

Thanks for the info!

Yes I got the waterproof needle...that's the one that failed the first time. The replacement works fine...and would meet your needs if you need to submerge it. It's made for cooking Sou Vide which requires the probe be submerged in a water bath.

As far as the alarm goes, I habitually set it and turn it off cause I'm crazy. It's too loud, yes it has a volume I think, and I'm not far enough away from the thermometer while brewing to need it. Although, I've used the alarm when cooking food and it's been good. I typically set the target temp lower than what I want so I don't over cook whatever it is I'm cooking.

I also use the timer when cooking BBQ. I guess between using it for cooking AND brewing is why I chose the chef alarm. Otherwise if I needed something just for brewing I would tend towards the other thermoworks thermometer mentioned previously in the thread. I don't think you can go wrong with a thermoworks product whichever you choose.

Yes I got the waterproof needle...that's the one that failed the first time. The replacement works fine...and would meet your needs if you need to submerge it. It's made for cooking Sou Vide which requires the probe be submerged in a water bath.

As far as the alarm goes, I habitually set it and turn it off cause I'm crazy. It's too loud, yes it has a volume I think, and I'm not far enough away from the thermometer while brewing to need it. Although, I've used the alarm when cooking food and it's been good. I typically set the target temp lower than what I want so I don't over cook whatever it is I'm cooking.

I was wondering how your replacement is holding up?
My first needle probe failed during chilling my first batch using it, the replacement seems to have failed during the second batch chilling.
When I inquired with support they indicated that mash is fairly harsh environment and that I shouldn't submerge the entire probe and connection in the mash. Which is fairly annoying since, If I can't sumberge it why did I buy the cable.
Thankfully they are sending a third probe, and I'm considering buying yet another one, as a spare. To test it in mash to see if it is failing otherwise.
How exaclty are you using yours?
AO

I only ended up using it once...and then found out the stock needle suited my needs better....however the small needle worked fine.
Sorry to hear about your problems...seems they haven't worked out the kinks for that probe.

Does the probe work fine if I leave it in my cooler mash tun and put the lid on all of the way? Or does it kink too much?

Make very, VERY sure NOT to get the cable wet on that model your looking at. More important...the end of the probe where it connects to the cable. The go linear so easily, and they get pretty expensive to replace.

May I recommend a different brand? I use the Taylor listed below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XS7WTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have had it for 2 years now.....I LOVE IT! Still on the original batteries.
I use the probe end to check my mash temps, and the infrared to check my carboy fermentation temp...so I don't have to open the carboy and I don't risk an infection. The probe and the infrared are very close in readings....within 1* or less. It reads in tenths of a degree(0.0) and is easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see: $59 for the unit, $15 for the probe, plus materials/labor to fit a silicone hose over the junction so fluid doesn't leak in and destroy the probe.....

You are pretty much as the $90-100 price point for a thermpen which has better accuracy and probably a faster read time (although the ChefAlarm doesn't list a read time).

I think the thermapen is a better deal.

I have the ThermoWorks MTC thermometer recommended in this forum a while back.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

The probe needed is, Model: 113-372/373/375-T

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html

The thermometer is waterproof just like the probe. It also has a magnetic back. I prefer the wire probe because it's longer, can be stuck in a pot or mash tun and set down. The thermometer is just as accurate as a thermopen, my only complaint is it takes longer to get readings.

+1
If your main use is monitoring mash temps, this is the way to go. I have a Thermapen, and a guy I brew with has the MTC. We always have MTC in the mash tun, we only really use the Thermapen now to double check.

I tried the thermoworks chefalarm, it has great features with the high/low alarms, timer, big bright display, easy to use. But the pro-series needle probe proved to NOT be immersable as advertised. I had one fail after being in the mash for 15 minutes, they sent a free replacement. The replacement failed in a few minutes didn't even get to mash, just some boiling water in the cooler to preheat the tun. Good news is they do stand by their products and let me return it for a nearly full refund, just minus shipping cost. So it is a good thermometer; but is not a waterproof option. So I wouldn't get it unless you don't mind being careful to only keep the end in water, in which case the standard probe worked fine. I used it when the supposedly waterproof ones started reading ridiculously high temps. Overall I wouldn't recommend buying the chefalarm, for crazy high price compared to some that are similar it isn't worth it, espicially after knowing the waterproof probe actually is not truly submersible. Even if it was it still may not be worth that price. I was thinking of trying Extech TM25: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDQ28IG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Anyone here used it and had success? Or know of a decently priced unit with a probe that really can stand being left submerged in the mash?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and bought the Extech off Amazon. I've been the ($35) Extech TM25. It has low and high alarms, reads accurate temps and has been fully submerged for 1 hour mash. I've used it for 5 brews now with no problems.

Back