Which thermowell for thermoworks probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DriveShaft

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently picked up some thermoworks probes:

Pro-Series® High Temp Straight Penetration Probe
(included with DOT). 4.5-inch length.

Pro-Series® High Temp Cooking Probe
(included with ChefAlarm) . 6 inch length.

I want to use these probes with thermowells on my HLT and MLT. Does anyone have either of these products with a thermowell? Which did you use? I want the thermowell to be weldless if possible.

I am not sure what size to go with because I know they need to bottom out within the thermowell and I do not want to buy the wrong sizes. Also the 6 inch probe has a 90 degree curve near the base that makes sizing the thermowell difficult. Should I buy a smaller thermowell than the probe length to ensure they bottom out?

I also considered going the compression fitting route, but I am worried of the probes being damaged by the mash paddle.

Thanks in advance!

Ok thanks! Ill try getting some slightly smaller thermowells than my probes then.

I wouldn't be so reluctant to go with compression fittings that leave ss probes exposed to the wraths of a kettle spoon.
If you use silicone o-rings instead of the ss compression rings (I really recommend this) there's quite a lot of compliance available to take up some shock.
As long as you don't go all medieval on the probes I'd bet they'd hold up fine...

Cheers!

Back