Opinion Wanted - Weak Starter Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jybingbrew

Reaction score
Was making a small starter today for some previously washed yeast in a pint jar -- not thinking, I poured the full pint (water and all) since it seemed like the water was getting cloudy -- assumed there were yeast getting suspended.

That brought my gravity from about 1.036 down to 1.022.

The beer I'm making is a blonde, OG target around 1.044.

Should I just roll with the starter and hope for the best? Or try again and keep the gravity of the starter in the 1.030 to 1.040 range that is usually recommended? I have a few more jars of washed yeast I could use if I need to.

I would just let it ride. It will likely finish fast and give you less yeast than you wanted, but you could always decant when it's finished and step it up again..

Thanks, I did decide to let this play out and see what happens.

I'm curious now though, why I would expect any less yeast overall with this method? I guess my worry was that the yeast would get too used to the lower OG environment and not do as well in a higher OG environment -- but that aside wouldn't they still have just as much sugar to work with and reproduce regardless of how diluted it was?

Latest posts

Back