Opening Fermenter Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschadt06

Reaction score
Ok so this was my first attempt at brewing. Can't wait to actually do it so I can be outside drinking a few brews in warm weather. Anyhow since this was my first brew after 3 days of fermenting and the bubbling stopped my curiousity got the best of me. I opened my bucket several times to see what was going on during the process to learn and understand the process. My question is this other than possible "contamination" is there any other harm that I could have done to the beer? Did I let some magical gas escape or anything. I will do much better bext time!

Aside from the possibility of contamination, you should be fine. The whole idea behind the Airlock is to allow the gas to escape while keeping the wort's contact with the outside air to a minimum, so if you released any gas it is stuff that was getting released anyway.

Also, the CO2 that hasn't been pushed out of the airlock is still sitting on top of the beer keeping it safe from outside air. CO2 being heavier than O2, as long as you were careful I doubt that layer got disturbed to the point where it would be a problem.

Agree with these guys, but except I'd say oxidation is another risk to frequently checking the beer, although, as BKorver said, if you didn't slosh it or disturb that c02 layer you're fine.

I went to better bottles just for this reason. I like watching the fermentation take place.

You'll eventually need to pull the lid off to check the FG (unless you are usuing a wine theif through the air lock hole). You should be fine!

Well, did you motorboat your wort when you opened it? If not, you're likely fine.

You'll eventually need to pull the lid off to check the FG (unless you are usuing a wine theif through the air lock hole). You should be fine!

I don't open my fermenter until three weeks when I'm ready to Keg/Bottle; no need to. Can't change anything anyway; Pitch enough Yeast and Keep your Fermentation Temps in your Range..you will always make beer. Give your Carboy/Bucket a swirl for a couple days after the Fermentation really begins to slow to finish it out and it will all be good

Why risk the contaimanation; 3/3 Rule.. three weeks in Fermenter/ Three Weeks in bottle/Keg

My first batch I think I opened it every day. I was too excited lol and for some reason thought I should take readings every day. I made a good IPA with no infection. Beer and yeast is a lot more resilient than people make it out to be.

My first batch I think I opened it every day. I was too excited lol and for some reason thought I should take readings every day. I made a good IPA with no infection. Beer and yeast is a lot more resilient than people make it out to be.

I must confess; I did too.. it is pretty exciting when you start brewing :ban:... then my twenty year home brew Mentor brewing partner laughed at me and told me; "It always turns into Beer". He was right; I stopped opening the lid RDWHAHB unless I absolutely have to (like to add 02 for a BIG BIG Beer)

I don't even use an airlock anymore. I just set the lid on loosely and wait for the krausen to fall back in before I snap down the lid - the CO2 coming out keeps anything from coming in. No worries.

Cheers!

I don't even use an airlock anymore. I just set the lid on loosely and wait for the krausen to fall back in before I snap down the lid - the CO2 coming out keeps anything from coming in. No worries.

Cheers!

I've done my last several beers that way to keep the head pressure down w/the Ringwood Yeast I'm using. I leave the airlock in, then after about four days towards the end, I snap it all together for the last couple days

Back