Opening Experiments- Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kphipps06

Reaction score
here is the recipe i concocted. i am still pretty new, but this is my attempt at my own APA. the OG bearly fit at 1.060.
est ibu's = 27.8?
1lb 2row domestic
.5lb aromatic grains
.5lb C20L
7lbs DME (1/3 at 60, the rest at 15)- late extract variant

hops
1oz citra @ 60
.5oz liberty @ 10
.5oz amarillo @ 0
1/4tsp irish moss @15

i will dry hop another 1oz of citra i am thinking after 2 weeks in the primary.
im trying to keep the recipes simple, yet undefined. so any input on any of this?

I would go more 35-40 IBU's for an OG that high.
Plus, I LOVE Citra @15 minutes so i would move the Liberty to 60 and add the Citra later.
Since you asked...

I would go more 35-40 IBU's for an OG that high.
Plus, I LOVE Citra @15 minutes so i would move the Liberty to 60 and add the Citra later.
Since you asked...

how would i adjust the IBU's before the brew? i am very new to the calculations.

Since you asked...

You read my mind. I have a Citra/Amarillo IPA here and it's a really, really nice combo.

Also, you might want to ditch the 1 lb of 2-Row and sub some DME. 2-row has to be mashed. Otherwise, looks good!

If you wanted, as mentioned, dump the 2-row and the 20L and you could steep 1lb of some C60L in your "pre-wort" maybe add 1oz. of magnum @60 and like the guys said I would switch the citra to the end.

Sounds good to me though. I just racked/dry hopped my first shot at a SN Torpedo clone and it tasted pretty good.

yeah ive done a little research and eventhough the AA of citra is high, it should be used for flavor/aroma. i didnt even realize the SN torpedo was based on citra until last night. what im shooting for is a good summer beer. if i can get it to taste good, ill brew it all summer long.

here is a question.. what is the IBU measured in most typically? its a huge diffrence between rager and tenseth

I have a good friend down in the Mesa area. He is an experienced brewer and I amsure he is on this site. I am going to PM him and see if he might want to help you out.

Noting that comment from Brandonovich, In all the recipes I found w/ Citra, it was only used in the dry hop schedule.

Back