Open fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marbach1987

Reaction score
I've heard open fermentation is far healthier for yeast. So say you have two identical batches side by side, one in open fermentation an the other in a carboy with air lock and you give them both 7 days. Will the open ferment have a higher abv and or be farther along in the fermentation process, Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Many attributes effect fermentation speed. Yeast type, the introduction of O2, ambient temp, fortification, type of juice, prior to startup. I have never had any 2 juices simulate each other through the wine making process. I do not usually do an open primary but I had a Marquette that had the wildest startup, it was open the first 4 days with a towel wrapped around the neck of carboy.

I rarely if ever ferment in a carboy with bung and airlock. If I ferment fruit, I want/need to be able to stir the fruit in to ensure that the fruit is always kept sopping wet and the surface does not tend to dry out. During the first week, the yeast want/need O2 so what is the benefit of blanketing those workers with CO2 and so starving them from oxygen? Wine making ain't brewing. Wine ain't beer, and fruit ain't grain. You seal the carboy when you brew beer because you are anxious about souring caused by lacto bacteria. That is not really a problem with fruit.

I too will consider open primary fermentation as I always use carboys as holding vessels,

Back