Oops! Stir bar in primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
Had a great brew day except for that. Made a Belgian specialty ale using a all wheat base. And a single hop schedule of hallertuar hop schedule. Sg at 1.060. What fun!

I did that the first time I made a starter. Leave it, it won't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Next time pull it out before resting the starter in the fridge. If I don't I always forget it.

I always put a yellow sticky note on my growler to remind me, and put the magnet on the front counter so it gets in the way.

I say leave it, won't hurt any thing unless you need another starter before this beer finishes.

+1 on
Leaving it unless you need it right away. Why risk an infection?
You can retrieve it when you rack to secondary or whatever your next preferred step happens to be.

I've also done it. I just left it until I kegged. Then, I bought another one in case it happens again.

Dropped the lid from the growler into the primary before. Beer still turned out great but I couldn't refill my growler for a few weeks.

I've done it twice, the first time I just left it in the primary but the second time I needed it so I used a magnet to pull it out of the primary which is harder than it sounds. Now I use a magnet to remove it from the Erlenmeyer before pitching. I leave the magnet and the stir bar together so I don't forget to use it.

I tape a magnet to the side of my starter as soon as it comes off the stir plate. Then it reminds me when I go to pitch it I tape the magnet to the bottom of my starter to keep the stir bar from going into the wort.

I have not done this yet thankfully. I did drop my bottling wand into secondary trying to use it as a wine thief (beer thief in this case). Works great to pull small sample for refrac test, as long as you don't drop it.

Haha, just searching the posts to see if anyone else has done what I just did. Sure enough, they have. Good thing stir bars come in packs of 4, huh?

And here I thought I was special!

Everyone who uses stir plates has done this at one point. I bought a six pack of bars cheap on homebrewfinds.

Not true. I have never done it.

I bought an extra large magnet that i stick to a handle on my stir plate. As soon as I take the starter off the plate, i use the magnet to pull the stir bar out. Works every time.

Back