Oops, OG higher than anticipated..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvtoms

Reaction score
I did a mini mash kit from Austin homebrew supply today and included their alcohol boost packet. I wound up with an OG of 1063 and pitched 1 packet of Nottingham dry yeast onto it. I let it sit there for 10 minutes or so, then stirred it in and set it in the fermentation chamber where I'm bringing the temp down to mid-high 60's for fermentation.

Will that yeast be able to handle it ok do you think? I pitched it at about 77 degree's which is about what the room temp is too. I've read that dry yeast should be double pitched if OG is 1060+, so thought I'd ask.

Nottingham can handle 1.063 without any issues.

Next time, though, try to pitch closer to fermentation temperature or a bit under fermentation temperature and let it rise. I like to pitch nottingham at about 57-59 degrees and let it rise to 62 or so. It gets very estery at 68 degrees, and a bit foul tasting at 72 degrees.

Notty can handle up to about 12% abv. Say you finish around 1.01, that would put you at about 7% abv. You should be fine!

Oh ok great, good to know.

Last time I used nottingham was the only other time I'd used it, and I didnt even stir it in. It came out ok, just on a less alcoholic version of this same brew.

Once I got the bucket into my fermentation box it's come down pretty quick to mid 60's. Would be faster if I didnt use up so many ice bottles already today. My freezer is almost nothing but freezing bottles for my brews.

Latest posts

Back