Oops moments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vellum

Reaction score
I'm sure we have all had them and I had one today. Let me paint the picture: I'm all set up to brew a maibock, 13 pounds base grain half pound carared. I mash in, and start thinking, why did I use briess 2-row? This is a maibock, why didn't I grab my German Pilsner. I consult my recipe and sure enough it says German Pilsner, I just had a brain fart and used us 2row. Oh well, will be a good beer.

I think my worst OOPS was forgetting to pitch yeast. COMPLETELY forgot! After a day and nothing it hits me and IN goes the yeast. Still turned out to be a pretty darned good beer.

There are so many, Here's my most recent.
Wanted to clean some parts in boiling water to get rid of some discoloration and starsan hazy slime.
Then got distracted cleaning the carboy.
By the time I remembered, I had completely warped a racking cane and 2 air locks. Oops....

I did an oops a couple weeks ago...Making an oatmeal stout, got to 15 minutes...added the yeast nutrient, and Irish Moss.

Wait, Irish Moss? In an oatmeal stout....? woops

Let me tell you, there was a huge pile of sludge floating on top of the fermenter a week later. It still tastes like a stout, but is lacking that oatmeal stout creaminess...oh well, live and learn.

Not closing the spigot when I was using Revvy's bottling tip with the bottle wand. Beer everywhere. I eventually figured it out but there was yet another day I mopped the floor.

I keep saying the two best things to come from brewing is my floor is mopped so much more frequently now (as opposed to every couple weeks if I am not lazy) and of course beer. Lots of beer. :D

Also, my first brew done on my stove and not realizing how long the process took just to bring the water to what was never a real boil. Looking at instructions and seeing a 60-minute boil, starting the process around 5:30 pm with pretty solid plans at 8 pm and figuring out by 9:30 that my floor was a mess, I had a ton of **** to clean up, and I was actually exhausted. So not gauging time at all.

Taking 2nd FG on my Naori IPA last Wednesday & wondered why yht beer was still very misty when it was cloudy the week before. I then realized I forgot to add the super moss the last 10 minutes of the boil. Damn,& it was getting an excellent color,& the flavors were gunna be great too.
Just this morning I cleaned a small ss saucepan to boil 2C water for my priming solution. I asked the wife to check,& she says there's nothing. Whaaaat? Dummy me,I forgot to put the water in the pan. I thought somethin smelled hot. I hope the rest of the day/week goes better. Gotta brew tomorrow.:drunk:

I ALMOST messed up two batches at once - I kegged what I thought was my IPA and got ready to add dry hops and realized that I had kegged my Golden Promise lawnmower beer instead. Almost dry hopped the wrong batch but caught myself in time. I've instituted more rigorous labeling since.

I was brewing a Wheat ale, and everything had gone smoothly. Mash was quite efficient, boil went well, and hit my target OG right on. When it was time to pitch my yeast, I was using a liquid yeast vial, I turned it upside down to our the yeast into my carboy and let the whole vial slip and fall in. Had to then sanitize my brew kettle and pour all the wort back into the kettle. Finally fished out the vial and resanitized the carboy and poured the wort back in. At this point I'm hoping I don't have an infection.

Although it was a big oops moment, the beer turned out fantastic!

ugh, too much yeast nutrient in my starter. Thing was fermenting like crazy and spewed out what i am really hoping was liquid krausen and not yeast out the top

When I was first starting out I did partial mash/boil batches. I had my brother over trying to show him the process. We finished cooling, topped it off to 5 gallons and were about to add the yeast when he says to me "when do we add this"? I turn around to see him holding my liquid extract!

Mine always tend to revolve around forgetting to check that the valve is closed before adding water, santizer, wort, etc. So, in the words of Hello above, the floor always gets mopped.

sometimes catch myself doing that on bottling day. Whether when racking wort,or filling with PBW & water to soak the FV clean. Also on occasion with the bottling bucket.

I have bottled a cider before and forgot to add the pruning sugar boiling in the stove. Was all cleaned up before I realized it. Had to uncap drop a carb tab and recap every bottle...whoops!

Back