Oops! Left the cap on my auto-siphon & it worked even better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem. I know everyone raves about it, but I think the version I got is just a POS.

I don't have a rubber flap, I have a plastic piece.

There were whole hops stuck in the auto siphon and I popped the plastic piece out while cleaning it.

It seems like it should be able to be put back in but i just can't do it.

I don't have a rubber flap, I have a plastic piece.

There were whole hops stuck in the auto siphon and I popped the plastic piece out while cleaning it.

It seems like it should be able to be put back in but i just can't do it.

I did this to my last siphon.

It's a real pain, but if you're patient and have access to a wooden dowel just slightly smaller than the outer tube of your siphon you can get it back in. I recommend putting a small drop of candle wax (or similar substance) on the end of the dowel to hold the little plastic bit in the right orientation. Only took me 2 hours of trying with fingers and clothes hangers and about 10 minutes after i figured out the dowel might work.

Sadly the next batch I brewed after the fix, I got impatient and siphoned wort that was too hot, effectively turning my siphon into a nice piece of art. :eek: (think :ban:)

Hope this helps

I hope this thread never dies. I get a giggle every time I see it! :D

Im scrolling through the forum...going down the list of threads...and I see this thing...and I think to myself "ohhh sh*t" it hasn't gone away?

...its up to 1100 hits!

Now that I know how to use the damn thing...even I still get a good laugh when I read the original post.

Wow.....I gotta lay off the homebrew before I start to kill some more braincells.

Seriously....if you guys feel the need to ban me...I will completely understand.

Oh man, it breaks my heart that you might think we'd actually ban you over something like that. I think a fairly large number of us regularly post drunken ramblings on here from time to time that cause us some embarrassment, but usually we poke a little bit of fun and let it go as you have seen. You pretty much have to be a real jerk to get banned. Even then they still haven't banned me.

Back