Oops! I used the wrong yeast in our wheat beer. Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruBird

Reaction score
I wonder if somebody else has done this....! We had scheduled 2 brews, a weiss and a blonde. Somehow, i mixed up the yeast and pitched the normal ale yeast (safale05) into the weiss.

It is not showing any signs of fermentation after 48 hours, but when we took a reading it has certainly gone a bit.

Will it ever ferment out? The recipe was 50% wheat and 50% pale malt.

Bummer! And a total blonde moment on my side :smack:

Any help gratefully received!!

I wonder if somebody else has done this....! We had scheduled 2 brews, a weiss and a blonde. Somehow, i mixed up the yeast and pitched the normal ale yeast (safale05) into the weiss.

It is not showing any signs of fermentation after 48 hours, but when we took a reading it has certainly gone a bit.

Will it ever ferment out? The recipe was 50% wheat and 50% pale malt.

Bummer! And a total blonde moment on my side :smack:

Any help gratefully received!!

it'll ferment out no different than your other yeast. just will be more of a neutral american ale due to the S-05

Wow! Nothing left to do but dump it. Clearly a total waste...

NOT!

Relax! Have a homebrew, Dude!

It's beer, not pharmacological preparation of insulin...

Malted barley and other grains, water, hops, flavoring agents and yeast all go together to make beer. We've been doing this for thousands of years...successfully, too!

For the most part, a particular style of beer developed because the brewers making that style were able to develop a process to take advantage to the water, grain and, even before they knew it was there, the eyeast that was available in their area.

While certain yeast strains bring out certain characteristics and can ferment under different conditions, yeast metabolizes short chain sugars and give off CO2 and alcohol as waste products. It's that simple. (Well...OK...there's a heck of a lot more going on, but that's more from a detail point of view.) Yeast has been doing this for hundreds on thousands of years nd will likely be doing this long after we're gone.

When making something like 304 stainless steel or human insulin or Budweiser, strict adherence to the recipe is critical. A half a percentage point difference of one ingredient over another is catastrophic.

We're making beer! Beer! glorious beer! Beer! Wonderful beer!

We're homebrewers! We celebrate the differences from one batch to another.

Many years ago, when he was at Blind Pig, I got to brew with Vince Cilurzo. He told me that I could brew his recipes with his ingredients on his equipment and people would till be able to tell which beers were his and which were mine. At this level, we put our personalities into our beer. And it's GOOD!

Strive to develop a process and maintain that to build consistency, but celebrate the differences.

Relax, BruBird! And, please, let me know how that batch turns out! I'll bet it's going be wonderful!

Your beer will be just fine. Just call it an American Wheat instead of a hefe... Using S-05 isn't inappropriate for that style at all. That is, unless the strain you meant to pitch was an American Wheat strain. In that case,S-05 isn't much different than what you meant to pitch.

Latest posts

Back