Oops, classic mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Well, have you ever had one of those moments where you weren't really paying attention and you did something stupid?

When I finish cleaning out my kegs, I pour in around 32oz of starsan, shake it up and let it sit until I have something to keg. So the other day I forgot to dump out that 32oz of starsan and kegged on top of it.

It should be carbonated and ready to sample today but should I be concerned about any health risks?

Anyone else do something like this? Any chance that it won't really affect the taste of the beer?

Thanks for your input.

The active ingredients in Star San are some of the ingredients in soda.

A quart will water down your beer a bit, but should be OK.

I guess...

:confused:

I was BMBFing some bottles for a competition and used a spray bottle of star san to sanitize them. I stupidly forgot to dump the sanitizer in one of them before filling it up. I finally realized what I did and it tasted like $hit. That was only an oz. or 2 in about 12 oz. of beer.

Ouch! Same exact thing huh?
So I sampled it and it tastes nasty. Good thing I brewed 10 gal.
Thanks

A quart of StarSan solution in 5 gallons of beer will be pretty much like a quart of water in 5gallons of beer. Still 95% beer. It should be fine.

It won't hurt you, but it watered down your beer a little bit.

(edit: Just saw that you said it didn't taste good. Bummer! :()

Back