Oops, Burnt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
So I finish my brew day and go to clean my pot and there it is a burnt spot of extract about the size of a quarter in the middle of my pot. I thought I did a good job of adding a bit at a time and making sure it was dissolved before moving back to the heat. Oh well, I think I should still be good.

Anyone else brew today, or have this happen with not too much off taste in the final product?

Thanks y'all.

Such a small spot shouldn't be that bad -- I'd think it would affect your color more than your taste. That being said, some people have more sensitive palates than others.

my friend was brewing on my equipment and added LME while the pot was still on the wide-open burner (I had walked away for a moment....). needless to say, some got burnt ;)

Since it was an Irish Red the burnt flavor kind of went with it well. I was brewing after him and it took him about 30 minutes of straight scrubbing to get it off. and a crap-ton of barkeeper's friend. a quarter-sized spot will probably not be noticeable.

It took some scrubbing to come off, but the pot is clean and again ready for use. Oh well, it is the small things that make home brew taste more individual.

I accidental did it to my dunkelweizen, didn't burn a whole lot but didn't make any noticeable flavors when I tasted it when I started bottling 3 weeks later(which was yesterday). Its just something to watch out for when your pouring your LME in and keep stirring so that none of it settles to the bottom for a prolonged length of time...

As for palates, some people are more sensitive to certain things(my dad can't stand mildew smells/flavors like cucumbers), lots of people like caramelized things tho, so if it is noticeable maybe pair it up with meats (steaks, burgers, sausages, etc.), those flavors would probably go together real well.

Don't worry about a quarter sized burn spot, heck, my first brew, I didn't really stir at all when I put my extract in and burnt it really bad. I had black "floaties" all over the place during the boil. I figured I would go through with it, bottle it and everything, and learn from any other mistakes I made along the way. It actually turned out really well after letting it mellow out in the bottles for a month, so don't worry, I am sure yours will turn out fine

Back