Ooops i bought DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kybert

Reaction score
Hi,

Went to the brew shop to get light malt extract, and they didn't have any, so i asked for DME (dry malt extract) and they sold me DMS (light)

Here is a link to the stuff i bought(not from this shop, but same stuff), its not LME or DME. Infact im not sure what it is!

Hopandgrape Store EDME MALT EXTRACT

(the blue one)

Any this is the stuff i wanted:
Hopandgrape Store COOPERS MALT EXTRACT

(yellow one -- light)

What is it good for? can it be used as a substitute for LME?

My recipe requires 2 cans of the yellow LME.

It is light malt extract, the only difference I see is that it's diastatic, meaning it contains enzymes. These are the enzymes normally found in malted grains, but usually denatured during the process of manufacturing the extract. I've never run across it, but I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work for your recipe.

i have no idea why extract would need enzymes either. you wouldn't put it in the mash tun during a partial grain brew...

I find it HILARIOUS that they call it DMS... of all things! DMS? ha ha ha

I find it HILARIOUS that they call it DMS... of all things! DMS? ha ha ha

Me too. That is funny.

This would be used to add enzymatic capability to a partial mash that otherwise has no or too little diastatic action. For instance, if you are doing a wheat beer. You can partial mash with just wheat and use this stuff to get conversion. Otherwise you would need to add some base malt to the mash.

haha, from your title, I thought they sold you a can of dimethyl sulfide. You will be fine with what they sold you.

Back