Ontario Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We don't see much for ON beer out west, and was wondering what the go to breweries are. I've had Muskoka and Howe Sound offerings, looking primarily in the Owen Sound and Kitchener areas.

I'm not too familiar with many beers out of Kitchener or Owen Sound. But if I were planning trips to breweries in those areas, I'd probably check out Descendents & Block Three. I've had some offerings from both that were pretty good. And I hung out with the folks from Descendents at a craft beer event a couple years ago and they were super cool, so for that I'd like to support their business :)

Check out Stonehammer they have some solid beers as does Kilannan Brewing right in Owen Sound.

If you head near Toronto, absolutely check out Bellwoods. One of my favorite breweries and fantastic food.

I've also been to Oast House near Niagara on the Lake which is cool for the experience. Silversmith is nearby too and has some unique offerings.

Wellington in Guelph has some decent offerings.

Quite a few I'd say to pass on, if I could think of them...

Absent Landlord in Blyth is worth the LCbO trip. I also thought the Collingwood Fireside ESB was ok. The Kilannan beers available by growler are more interesting than those only in cans.

Merchant ale house in st. Catherine's. Amazing brewpub. Grand river brewing has a couple I like. I am biased to the grand river though as I live next to it!

I second the vote for Kilannan in Owen Sound. Their beers were fantastic and the prices for tastings/cans were very reasonable given the high quality of their product. Me and a few friends have been spending a week at a cottage on the Bruce Peninsula for the last 15 years or so and we'll be stopping at Kilannan on the way up every time!

Side Launch is in Collingwood. Their wheat is the re-label of the award winning Denison's Weissbier.

Barrie might be a bit out of your range, but Flying Monkeys puts out a lot of good stuff.

Barrie has a few decent ones (Flying Monkeys, Barnstormer) and recently opened Red Line just started putting beers in the LCBO.

For me, virtually anything by Nickel Brook is a must, and same goes for Amsterdam (Burlington and Toronto, respectively).

Nickel Brook's Naughty Neighbour is a phenomenal APA. Amsterdam makes some great beers like Boneshaker or Cruiser ("all day IPA").

Or you could always swing by my cousin's place and try his Pure Gout Stout.

I'm from NorthWestern Ontario so can only really speak to that region....

Sleeping Giant Brewing Co in Thunder Bay, ON is putting out awesome beer and currently building a new facility to boot. Constantly growing and can't keep up with demand. Good to see for a small city brewery.

Lake of the Woods in Kenora is good if you get it on tap. In the can is contract brewed in a high gravity facility, but on tap is good stuff.

There are a few offerings in Sault Ste. Marie as well. Northern Superior Brewing Co has just fired up a larger scale operation churning out a traditional lager.

There's a few brewpubs in town but nothing that stands out in my mind.

Churchkey by Campbellford Ontario. Really cool place (built in an old church) and the beer is excellent.

Locally we have Smithhaven's brewery in Peterborough. Incredible incredible beer. Cannot say anything negative about the quality and taste of what they have produced in such a short period of time.

I second the vote for Kilannan in Owen Sound. Their beers were fantastic and the prices for tastings/cans were very reasonable given the high quality of their product.

Third vote for Kilannan. I was just in Owen Sound this past weekend for an annual music festival, and checked this place out because it was just a few minutes away from the grounds. Their flagship beers are a kolsch and an altbier, which are both really good, but they've also got a few other styles and some radlers as well, if that's your thing. Quality stuff, and pretty impressive, considering the whole operation is the brainchild of a single guy who, best I can tell, is in his early-mid 20s.

Nickel Brook's Naughty Neighbour is a phenomenal APA.

One of the best available in Ontario, IMO.

Another great one is Canuck Pale Ale by Great Lakes Brewing, which is closer to Toronto I believe.

I can't post about Ontario beer without mentioning Collective Arts out of Hamilton--their Rhyme & Reason "extra pale ale" and Ransack the Universe IPA are absolutely outstanding.

OS'er here.. Definitely check out Kilannan, Newstadt, Thornbury (Cider), Flying Money's (Barrie), Sidelaunch,

OS'er here.. Deffinitely check out Kilannan, Newstadt, Thornbury (Cider), Flying Money's (Barrie), Sidelaunch,

How did I forget to mention Neustadt? If all you care about are IPAs then don't bother, but if you like British styles it is definitely worth a look. Their 10w30 dark mild is pretty killer... a personal fave.

How did I forget to mention Neustadt? If all you care about are IPAs then don't bother, but if you like British styles it is definitely worth a look. Their 10w30 dark mild is pretty killer... a personal fave.

Agreed, 10w30 is my go to dark, or Waterloo Dark [Brick Brewing- Waterloo, ON], Guiness, etc.

I did a tour of Steam Whistle brewery in Toronto a few years ago. Obviously, not what one would call a craft brewery. But good tour nonetheless.

If Church key is in the agenda, call ahead to see what they have. Anytime I've been there's just their 2 regulars available, which aren't bad but nothing I'd make a special trip for. Pretty cool place though.

I agree with clone its def a cool place to check out!
The holy smoke stout is good as is their flagship cream ale.
I get up their every year.

Third vote for Kilannan. I was just in Owen Sound this past weekend for an annual music festival, and checked this place out because it was just a few minutes away from the grounds. Their flagship beers are a kolsch and an altbier, which are both really good, but they've also got a few other styles and some radlers as well, if that's your thing. Quality stuff, and pretty impressive, considering the whole operation is the brainchild of a single guy who, best I can tell, is in his early-mid 20s.

One of the best available in Ontario, IMO.

Another great one is Canuck Pale Ale by Great Lakes Brewing, which is closer to Toronto I believe.

I can't post about Ontario beer without mentioning Collective Arts out of Hamilton--their Rhyme & Reason "extra pale ale" and Ransack the Universe IPA are absolutely outstanding.

Collective Arts is incredible, and Ransack the Universe is a huge favourite for all of my friends.

Another I forgot to mention was Sawdust City... I think out of a small place called Gravenhurst.

Back