Only have malts, bittering hops and US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
I wanna brew most of my malts away before my next big purchase (bought them milled in august)

I only have Maris Otter, Munich and Crystal 60. I have some Warrior and US-05. No aroma hops.

I don't really know beer styles so i thought about doing something experimental. Are there any styles you can brew with those ingredients?

What i thought about first is to brew something lighter then ferment it above 70F for some fruity esters but i am not sure if the us-05/chico is good for this. I am kinda interested in how bubblegum would taste.

My other idea was to brew something big and dark (1.090ish OG and 1.020ish FG) and add some spices to it for something christmasy. I am thinking about mulled/glüh wine style.

Can i make anything worthy of these ingredients or i should just wait for my next big order? That means that my next brewday would be in January.

You could even just do a single-hop pale ale or IPA with Warrior as the flavor/aroma hops. No reason they can't be used for both, really.

warrior is fine to use as late hops, but it is a bit mild. You could make a great barleywine with just those ingredients.

"My other idea was to brew something big and dark"

Sounds like an excuse to try roasting a little of your own grain.

How much do you have of each? It's hard to recommend anything when we don't know the amounts available. Those three malts could make several different brews, it all depends on the proportions.

One thing that comes to mind off the bat would be a Baltic Porter. If you have about 6 lbs. each of the MO and the Munich, and 2 lbs. of the Crystal, and 1oz. of the hops, it should come out nicely, if a little light in color for the style and really, really bitter-sweet.

Im seeing an Oktoberfest "like" beer here. Warrior is'nt to style and neither is US-05 but if you use just the right amount of hops for 20-25 IBU's with no other additions the US-05 will actually work nicely. It's a nuetral'ish yeast I have used several times in place of Lager yeast. Not the same, but really close in flavor to me. 5 lbs. Marris Otter, 5 lbs Munich 1-1 1/2 lbs. Crystal 60L. Im drooling.....

I've only made IPAs so far so a single hop warrior IPA does not sound interesting enough.

A barleywine sounds cool on the other hand, will the 05 work with those high OGs?

Roasting my malt sounds interesting, i have an oven with pretty good temp control. Could i make something stout/porter like?

I brew 1 gallon batches i have enough Maris for like 1.150 OG and about 50% of that weight from crystal and munich so basically i have enough for any sensible combinations. So 2:1:1 ratio of MO:Mu:C60

Baltic Porter and Oktoberfest sounds cool but i think i can buy similar styles fot low prices here which would make a 1 gallon batch pointless.

For a 1-gallon batch, a full packet of US-05 should get you down from pretty high gravities; I've heard tell of folks getting 1.100, 1.110 beers done, anyway, and I'm hoping they're not full of it, because I've been dreaming of a big ol' imperial porter pitched on a US-05 cake.

Anyway. Mash low, rehydrate the yeast, and aerate the heck outta the wort!

2:1:1 sounds a little heavy on the crystal... that's 25%. Maybe 4:2:1 or 6:3:1 for somewhere around 10-15% of the grain bill? If you can hit 1.150 dumping it all in, you can still hit 1.110 or so leaving some out, and give yourself a little more confidence your US-05 will finish the job.

I've only made IPAs so far so a single hop warrior IPA does not sound interesting enough.

A barleywine sounds cool on the other hand, will the 05 work with those high OGs?

Roasting my malt sounds interesting, i have an oven with pretty good temp control. Could i make something stout/porter like?

I brew 1 gallon batches i have enough Maris for like 1.150 OG and about 50% of that weight from crystal and munich so basically i have enough for any sensible combinations. So 2:1:1 ratio of MO:Mu:C60

Baltic Porter and Oktoberfest sounds cool but i think i can buy similar styles fot low prices here which would make a 1 gallon batch pointless.
05 can handle high OG's just fine, you just need to pitch enough of it. use a pitching calculator like mrmalty to figure out how much is needed.

25% crystal is pretty high. personally i'd keep to about 15%, maybe 20% max.

here's something that is pretty close to what you could pull off: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/two-dudes-gnarly-barley

I don't want to use that much crystal, i just answered how much grains i have left. I will just throw away the rest of the grains i think. Now that i checked out my inventory i have
3.5lbs of M. O.
1.9lbs of C60
1.9lbs of Munich
1/2oz Warrior

btw in the past i got a 1.090 beer down to 1.018 with 1/3 packet of US-05. (1 gal)

I'd go for a barleywine with
3.5 Maris otter
2# Munich
1# c60
In a one gallon batch should get you around 14%+ ABV

A big beer is already going to have plenty of residual sugar, that much crystal would be cloying. I wouldn't go over 8oz, and preferably closer to 4-6oz, if any. Not sure on OP's efficiency so assuming around 75%, I'd opt for something closer to this
3.5# MO
0.75# Munich
0.25# C60
should put you around 1.126 for OG, I wouldn't go any higher than that if you want to be sure it'll finish. make sure to mash low and keep fermentation temps down (no higher than 68F internal temp).

A big beer is already going to have plenty of residual sugar, that much crystal would be cloying. I wouldn't go over 8oz, and preferably closer to 4-6oz, if any. Not sure on OP's efficiency so assuming around 75%, I'd opt for something closer to this
3.5# MO
0.75# Munich
0.25# C60
should put you around 1.126 for OG, I wouldn't go any higher than that if you want to be sure it'll finish. make sure to mash low and keep fermentation temps down (no higher than 68F internal temp).

I use a swamp cooler. I can get the water in the cooler down to 65F. How similar is the internal temp of a glass fermenter and the temp of the surrounding water?

if you have a FoodSaver, you could seal them up and store in the freezer (if it's worth it to you).

These are pre milled grains from august/sept. Can i store them any longer? So far i have stored them in thight, closed plastic bags in an unused plastic fermenter bucket @ 70F.

Back