Online Water Calculator Does Not Make Sense!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmathew

Reaction score
I sent away for a water report, bought a PH meter, purchased some salts and acids and cannot figure out what to do with them!!! I just started brewing (3 batches) all grain and want to get my water dialed in. Where do I start? Nothing complex, balanced profile, and specifically want to address any major deficiencies affecting final outcome. I have also attached a copy of my water report.

I have visited the sites but cannot figure out specifically what I am to do. Specific additions, etc would help but I am generally looking for direction in terms of do this first, check this next, add this after, do this last, etc, etc. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I find this water adjustment tool works well. http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

Your water really doesn't look bad at all. I would concentrate on mash PH and leave the rest alone unless you're brewing a style that really needs a specific profile. Other than that, I would look for improvements in other areas of your brewing.

Once you get the mash PH dialed in you can adjust the sulfate to chloride ratio if you must. My water is such that I use RO and build from there, so I'm jealous.

Bob

That is my problem understanding. So the process is to measure the ph of the mash then add acids to compensate to 5.4??

Personally, I adjust all of my brewing water to 5.5 or 5.6 ahead of time. You will not want to go that low if you're using dark crystal malts or roasted malts in any quantity. About 10 minutes into the mash I take a PH reading and it's almost always spot on. I don't like to add acids to the mash, but if you do, be sure to dilute with water and stir the mash well while you make the addition. Be very careful and add the acid incrementally. Just a few drops of phosphoric acid 10% will make a measurable difference in PH.

RO water isn't very resistant to change so it takes very little acid to bring it into range. I can't give you any numbers for your water because I've only adjusted RO. All I can tell you is that you need to take it slow and be sure not to add too much acid. Hope this helps.

Bob

Take a look at Bru'n Water Spreadsheet. http://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
Read the Water Knowledge section before anything, then
1) Input the information on Water Report Input page from your Ward Labs report.
2) Plug in necessary information on the Sparge Acidification sheet.
3) Plug in the necessary grist information on the Mash Acidification sheet.
4) Make adjustments to the Desired Water Profile, Dilution Water Profile, and Water Additions on the Water Adjustment sheet.
5) When the finished water profile is acceptable use the Adjustment Summary sheet as your guide of what to add and make great beer.
6) A PayPal donation to Martin Brungard will get you the Upgraded Spreadsheet. Worth it.
7) I've been using it since getting my Ward Labs report and haven't missed my PH by over .1, yet.

I find Brunwater a bit more confusing than brewers friend. This version has more inputs: http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/
Like others have said, plug in your water info and recipe.
Tell it the style you are brewing, and it will give you your expected PH. It is very accurate.
Play with the additions. Probably will only need small additions of calcium chloride and gypsum.
Stay away from lime.

Go to the brewing science category and look at the water chemistry primer sticky that was started by Yooper but is actually by AJ deLange. It's a great place to start climbing the learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back