Online brewing schools?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
I'm getting to the point in my brewing where I feel like if I'm going to improve much more, I'm going to need some education, structure, and feedback from an experienced taster who has actually tried my beers. There's only so much you can learn when everyone who tries it just says "yeah, that's pretty good". And like everyone else on this board, I too have hopes and aspirations of someday going pro. Unfortunately all the local breweries in my area that I've contacted say they can't allow someone to come in on a brew day for liability reasons, and I can't afford to quit my job and move to a different state to take any sort of in person classes. Does anyone know of a brewing program that allows you to take a course or two at a time online? Thanks :mug:

Most homebrewers who want education would buy books, join a club, attend the NHC. Most who want qualified feedback enter competitions. Have you exhausted those resources already?

I have 4 or 5 books that I've read, but even with those I get more education on here. What I'm thinking more about though is the future and getting "official" education that covers brewing on a large scale. From what I've heard it's very hard to get into the business without experience from volunteering at a brewery or an actual brewing degree, so I want to start working towards that.

I just sent in a few beers to my second competition, but since I rarely follow bjcp guidelines, all the feedback I got from my first competiton wad how everything tasted good but wasn't to style. No real feedback on flaws or process.

A lot of colleges have online masters programs now. I am not familiar with any that have a brewing-related masters program online but that's what I would look for.

I went to the American Brewer's Guild distance learning. Not nearly as expensive as Siebel but very in depth.

Homebrewtalk.com is one of the best online courses you can take for brewing :)

If you are serious, this will become your life and you will find the knowledge on your own, with time and with or without a diploma.
Study the BJCP, take the test, keep competing, start judging. A local club, if active, will be a huge source of knowledge and brewing maturation.

Yes, actual brewing school training will probably be needed for applying for a job as a brewer in an existing successful brewery. But like ALL schooling, it is a formality and not required to be a great brewer whatsoever.

That said, if I had the money and the time I'd get the education :p More info more gooder.

I went to the American Brewer's Guild distance learning. Not nearly as expensive as Siebel but very in depth.

Looks like I should have taken some chemistry or biology in college...My master's degree in English and American Lit won't do much for my application...

Looks like I should have taken some chemistry or biology in college...My master's degree in English and American Lit won't do much for my application...

The fact that you have a master's degree doesn't count for anything? Are these online programs really that selective?

Ah, just saw the science class requirement. Guess you just gotta go to your local community college and take a chemistry or physics class...

That actually could be a good place to start. I just have a bachelor's in music, but I could definitely take some classes in chem or bio at my local college if I can't get into the brewers guild program right away.

Back