One year old cider still too tart/sour. Dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbelow

Reaction score
Last Fall I made a hard cider with pasteurized, preservative free apple cider and Nottingham yeast; no other ingredients were used. I tried one three months after bottling and it was very sour, almost like Warheads candy sour. I opened one every other month after that and they all have remained the same. Should I throw in the towel and dump this batch? Could I make a drinkable apple jack with this?

No I haven't tried to back sweeten. I think I'll give this a try but I was mainly wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I've done that a few times. Wine yeast pulls the cider down to 1.000 and it comes out tasting super dry and sour. Next time look into backsweetening.

As for this batch, if it's already in the bottle, you can always make a simple syrup. Crack a bottle, toss in half a shot of syrup and you've got sweetened cider.

Is it ideal? No, but you'll be able to drink it, and your next batch will hopefully be better!

Back