One-Step for Baby Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Surely, some of you have children (I hope). What do you think about sanitizing bottles with One-Step rather than boiling water? I hate the thought of boiling plastic and realized I had an excess of One-Step!
ath

I do not have any kids that I am aware of but if I did, I wouldn't think twice about using it.

While it has been mentioned as a sanitizer it is not listed as one. There has been discussion that one reason why is that the company itself does not want to go through the hassle of regulations for testing it as a labeled sanitizer.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not labeled as one then it isn't one so I use Star San or Iodophor strictly as my sanitizers of choice. If you want to use it as a cleaner, that's fine. I use PBW or OXY primarily.

we had a microwave steam sanitizer that we used a few times at first and eventually gave up on sanitizing her bottles - they were cleaned well and hung on a rack upside down to dry - most didn't have milk in them for more than a few days and were always kept at room temp - personal choice of course but I know a few friends that did the same and a lactation consultant said similar in a class we took

I have used star san to spray misc toys etc when they fell on the ground a few times but as a whole we tried to avoid oversanitizing / being germaphobic with her

she's 13 months now and had 1 cold and 1 other instance of a slight fever for a day or 2

I use 1step. But I only use it as a cleaner. I don't use it to sanitize.

The manufacture of 1step says they have never tried to get the certification of it as a sanitizer because it's too expensive.

My opinion: 1step is similiar to oxyclean. It will sanitize but I don't consider it "no rinse". It doesn't completely dissolve in water and it leaves residue.

I boiled bottles when my daughter was young. Just set a timer. I fell asleep while boiling nipple and caps. My wife woke me 90 minutes later when she came home by shouting, "What is that smell?" The pot had boiled dry and everything was melted in the pot.

Back