One Pils, Two Krausens!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
This past weekend I brewed a pils with an OG of 1.050. I chilled 5.5 gallons of this wort to 38F, racked off the sediment and pitched 3L of WLP800 (starter and all) into the wort.

The starter was from one vial of WLP800 and had been stepped up twice with 1.5 liter starters on a stir plate overnight. The starter sat at room temperature, somewhere around 70F assuming the yeast heated it up by five degrees Farenheit. By the time the wort was chilled the starter had a Krausen.

I oxygenated the wort before pitching (1/8 CFM for 60 seconds for 12-15 PPM of O2) and let the temp rise to 50F and now the fermentation is taking place at 50F, the low end of the recommended temperature range.

Whew, all that to say that I have had two krausens with this batch. The first happened around 36 hours after pitching and the second is occurring 60 or more hours later. The first krausens collapsed pretty neatly, the second is making its home on top of it. Never seen this before. Not worried but any thoughts on why this happened?

Back